Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 6 months ago

Do you remember when people were seen as crazy for believing aliens?

In my opinion you're crazy if you don't believe that aliens exist. They're probably not on this planet, but on some other planet. I mean, all of these planets in the entire solar system and you believe earth is the ONLY one that can support life.

• Tom

Actually, that Belief is relatively recent. People in the late 19th century were quite sure life existed on Mars and even in colonial times, life on other planets was considered seriously.-----People just didn't concern themselves all that much with the subject, as they "knew" contact between worlds, much less travel, would be "impossible".

It was only in the Early to mid 20th century that people were ridiculed for believing in aliens.

Most scientists think life exists on other planets. But in science we need proof. NASA and many others are looking for it. This is the field of exobiology.

Still are.

Fortunately plenty of people are sane enough to do a reality check before they believe in anything.

The trouble is that space aliens has become a religion, complete with prophets, contactees, sacred sites, artworks and all the other paraphernalia typical of a religion. Everything except peer reviewed, verifiable evidence.

There are as many grains of sand on Earth as there are stars in the universe. But not one of those grains of sand support life.

In any case, we can only ever see a tiny fraction of a percent of stars in the universe, let alone their planets. All stars are in galaxies, and of all the billions of galaxies in the universe, we can only resolve the stars in a handful of nearby galaxies. Hence even if there was "life" somewhere in the vast remoteness of space, we could never detect it. So what point is there making a religion out of it? Why does it even matter. There are far more important things to spend your precious time on.

The problem is not believing aliens COULD exist.

The problem is believing that they have landed in your backyard, just for the pleasure of spying on you.

There is no evidence that aliens exist.

There is no evidence that aliens cannot exist.

Anything is between is, for now, wishful thinking.

Depending, of course, on the sense you give to the verb "to believe".

• Sharon

I remember when suggesting sending rockets into space was regarded as childish SF. Much enjoyed the appalled expressions on people's faces as they read newspapers October 5, 1957

>>Do you remember when people were seen as crazy for believing aliens?

Yup... My dad ridiculed me (lightly) for enjoying Star Trek... At one point, he said, "You know, people with pointed ears aren't real...right?" I said, "Not that we know of right now..."

>>In my opinion you're crazy if you don't believe that aliens exist.

Maybe... I think with the discovery of extra-solar worlds, and the sheer number of stars with planets out there, the concept of intelligence beyond Earth is far more acceptable today than it was 50 or 100 years ago. That *still* doesn't mean any exist, however... while I think there must be life out there - that's just my opinion.... and, it could turn out to be wrong. We'll just have to wait for evidence (either way).

>>They're probably not on this planet, but on some other planet.

I doubt our world could contain *two* separate intelligence species... one or the other would seek to dominate. So... on Earth - it's just us.

>>I mean, all of these planets in the entire solar system and you believe earth is the

>>ONLY one that can support life.

Well... in *our* solar system, I'd place the odds of life on another planet (or one of their moons) pretty low... There may be oceans under the ice of the moons of Jupiter and Saturn - but... I still think life - of any kind - has a low probability of existing there... But - not impossible, I have to admit. Mars might have had microbial life early in it's history, or maybe it lost its atmosphere before life had a chance to develop... Probably we'd need boots on the ground to make that discovery.

But - in our whole *galaxy*... with 250 billion stars, and upwards of a *trillion* planets... I'd say at least a few of them out there would be Earth-like enough to have not only generated life, but have advanced civilizations on them... That's only an opinion for now - and, like I said... could turn out to be wrong...

• jehen

Earth is the only one in this solar system that can support life as we know it. We don't know enough about nearby solar systems to say, but even the closest of those are far too far away to travel there and back within the span of all human existence. So without some new physics that we are as yet unaware, no Aliens from any other solar system have ever come to visit.

I don't know about others, but I am still seen as crazy.

• Joan H

In my opinion, there is only a very slight chance that any kind of life will be found on another planet in our solar system - especially the idea that there is life with advanced intelligence. However, our solar system is just a speck in the whole universe so it is quite likely that there is (or was or will be) advance intelligent life elsewhere in the universe.

Just the opposite is true. It was a given fact that Aliens lived in all sorts of unlikely places. William Herschel, one of the most productive astronomers who ever lived, believed even the Sun was inhabited. The belief in Alien life was prevalent in the 19th century... the Moon Hoax was a sensation... Percival Lowell's ideas of an advanced Martian civilization was accepted by the general population although better scientists knew he was wrong and publicized the fact.

Nicola Tesla reported in 1899 that he was communicating with Martians... though he was only hearing atmospheric whistlers.

In the early 20th century, newspapers were filled with articles about the Martians and attempts to signal them. In 1938 Orson Welles made his famous broadcast and many people truly believed we were being invaded by Martians.

So nope, the opposite is true. If people paid closer attention to scientific research, they'd realize that phosphorus, an element critical to life on Earth, is only produced by a rare type of supernova. Life on Earth has indeed contradicted scientific facts... the so-called "rare Earth hypothesis" is making more and more sense.