Native English speakers, could you please help me with these issues?

1. Take under consideration the following sentence:

"The car SWERVED to miss Mrs Jackson, who had SLIPPED OFF the pavement."

Does 'swerve' mean to change the direction?

And whay does 'slipped off' mean?

2. Take under consideration the following sentence:

"I locked my key in my room."

What does this really mean?

Does it mean that the person in question accidentlly left the key in the room, and so is unable to reenter the room?

• Sparky
    Favorite Answer

You are mostly correct.

Swerved it to change direction by pulling hard on the steering wheel of the car.

Slipped off means that she fell off the gutter / curb.

And lastly, yes, it means you accidentally left the key in your room which means you are now unable to enter the room if it is locked.

1 swerve means change direction, slipped means fell off the pavement - you could also have slipped on the pavement, but the sense here is that she went off the edge of the footpath into the gutter/roadway.

2 Yes. You can lock yourself out of a room with certain types of lock that do not need a key to close them.

• Cogito

1. "The car swerved to avoid hitting Mrs Jackson who had slipped off the pavement."

'Swerve' means to suddenly change direction.

'Slipped off' means that she accidentally fell off, probably because the path was wet or slippery.

2) "I locked my key in my room."

It means that the door was able to close and lock itself without the key needing to be used - like a Yale lock.

So yes, it means that the person left the key in the room and it locked behind him as he left. It doesn't necessarily mean that he could no longer get back into his room. He could have a spare key or someone else might have one.