promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Sunsu
Lv 5

Why are CPU prices going down, but Motherboards going up?

And the MOBO's being sold out right now.

Update:

I'm down under WTF

4 Answers

Relevance
  • John
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

I find the best prices for those are at pricewatch.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 11 months ago

Some of it is to do with the tariffs but there are also a couple of other factors at play.

-Intel is still facing a chip shortage, which has raised the price of their chipsets and decreased the availability of their processors.

-The newer z390 chipset is more expensive than the z370 chipset

-The new AMD x570 chipset is significantly more expensive than last year's x470 chipset. Including PCI-Express 4.0 to the x570 chipset has made it more expensive.

-AMD's release of Zen 2 has resulted in less demand for Intel parts. Retailers have responded by cutting prices of Intel parts.

-Intel primarily fabricates their processors in Oregon, Arizona, and Israel, and the processors are placed on the substrate and packaged in mainly Costa Rica and Malaysia.

-AMD still packages their processors in China, but their processor chip is made in Taiwan.

• 11 months ago

Exactly what Joe said. Almost all electronic "assemblies" are currently manufactured in China. The companies that import them to the USA were recently hit by a 25% tariff, all those companies were forced to raise their prices to the consumer or face going out of business.

Most chips are manufactured in countries other than China, hence no tariff.

• Joe
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

Just a wild guess, here:

I'd bet that the motherboards are assembled in China, and subject to Trump's tariffs. The Intel or AMD "fab" plants could be in another country.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.