Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 6 months ago

Am I allowed to take down a gate at my rental & not put up another one?

The property was rented out with a gate across the driveway; however, the gate is getting old & a new one needs to be installed. This will cost a lot of money I don't have, plus I'm having trouble with the tenant allowing access into the backyard. It doesn't say anything in the rental agreement about the place including a gate.

Update:

The tenants are on a month to month lease.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

It's your property - you have every right to remove it and you are under no obligation to replace it. If they want a gate, tell them they can pay for one themselves, size, materials, installer approved by you, and you get a key.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

NO. The landlord or manager is the only one who can replace the gate.

• In
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

If the tenants are renting month to month and there is no lease agreement, then you have the right to make any improvements to your property. You are only required to give notice if you need to go inside the house, but it would be nice to let the tenants know you are coming over to do yard work.

• SimplytheFACTS
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

NOPE, since they arr renting the WHOLE property as exclusive use, same notice applies to exterior

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Hello

Nothing last forever & things need to be replaced so take it down immediately before it cost you more money especially if someone gets hurt

Best

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

it is obviously included in the rent. when the tenant rented the property the price they agreed to included the security of the gate. You need to give them legal notice it will no longer be included. in most states that is 1 full rental month, so if you notify them in July, you can take it down in September.

if its an immediate danger, you can remove it right away and compensate them for the lose, maybe 1-5% of the rent.

i don't see why you have an access problem, you should have a key and be able to open it.

you could issue a cure or quit notice for blocking the driveway and evict.

you could send written notice to change in terms of lease, instituting a fine when access is denied. charge them full cost of the visit from the gardener or handyman.

if you want them out, and tenant laws don't offer any protection against lease termination for no cause....just send a notice to terminate tenancy. In NJ for example, you could not do that unless you have established they are a nuisance by blocking the drive way.....you would need to give them notices about that 1st and move to terminate based on that.,

you can tell the tenants to pick a time that is good for them to have the gardener come.....when the cars wont otherwise be in the driveway (during normal business hours), that way they have no excuse as they picked the time.

• ...Show all comments
    • anonymous6 months agoReport

Even if I take the gate down, they still won't be able to get past their cars. If I threaten them with taking the gate down, maybe they will wise up & move them. Or I can also issue them a 60 days notice to move if they don't move them. The tenant told me the streets are too crowded with cars.

• 6 months ago

Yes you can. A gate is not a legally required essential service. It is an amenity. On a month to month an amenity can be removed at any time with proper notice to the tenant.

• R P
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Give your tenants proper notice that you are removing the gate (look up your state's laws to find out how much notice they are entitled to), then remove it. Their choices at that point are to either accept the change or give notice & move.

Source(s): FL landlord
  • 6 months ago

Yes, you certainly can.

• 6 months ago

Yes, take it down. It can be a safety hazard.

• Katie
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

You can, just do NOT throw the existing one away.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.