How much would it cost to fix a car from leaking oil under the car?

Looks like under my car a plate broke and now it’s leaking lots of oil from running into some big rocks

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

If you hit a rock the oil pan is likely bad. At least $400 and may be as much as $600 depending on what vehicle you own.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • Erik
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

DID you hit something with the underside of your car? Or are you just guessing? Take it to a mechanic, and they will tell you what needs to be replaced. As far as how much it will cost, no one on here can tell you that (with any accuracy).

• 1 year ago

That "under car plate" is the oil pan. If it's leaking around the edges then just needs a new gasket. If you managed to hole it you'd better replace it ASAP.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

It'll cost you an arm and a leg.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 year ago

No one can say as they can't see the damage. However make sure you keep topping up the oil as low oil will destroy the engine very quickly.

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

I suppose that would depend on WHAT is leaking, and how much it costs to repair or replace the item that you damaged.

• 1 year ago

It is not obvious from your description which part is leaking oil. The lowest part of the car is probably the sump, below the engine. If you have broken the sump (oil pan in some countries), it is not difficult to replace if you can find a replacement you can afford. It is not a part that wears out so a second-hand part from a breakers yard/auto salvage yard will be OK. It will need a new gasket and then you'll have to replace all the oil to the correct level.

Sorry, I do not know how much it will cost but it will be less than a new engine or a new car. You should avoid driving until the damage is fixed because loss of oil could very soon cause your engine to seize up.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

Swell - now you don't have to paint the rims . . . . sell what parts you can then leave it along the side of the street without the plates.

• 1 year ago

you're a day too late. Amazon Prime Day had specials on oil pans for all cars yesterday.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.