Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 7 months ago

Is it normal for parents to get really mad at a child when the child gets hurt?

My sister is dealing with a lot, she got cheated on plus she has anxiety. She wanted comfort and reached out to my parents. all they did was get mad and yell at her. I have dealt with the same hence why i don’t go to my parents anymore for emotional support. fyi they don’t hit us or anything abusive. but is this normal?

• Foofa

Chances are great your parents warned your sister about this guy she was dating and she ignored their concerns. So while it is sort of human nature to say "I told you so", they should at least be keeping an eye on her to make sure she's not slipping into self destructive behaviors. And of course she should be in treatment for her anxiety.

i dont think its normal, maybe your sister should go to her friends for emotional support

As you can see by these answers, you're kind of forcing people to guess when you don't give any specifics. How old is your sister and does she still live at home? What do you mean by "cheated on"? Maybe most important, what exactly did your parents do or say when she went to them?

They sound mean, but a lot might have to do with the way your sister handles things, and even you. You said you don't go to them with problems, and that's pretty sad, but lots of us are like that once we hit 15 or so. I grew up with great parents, but they were kind of distant, and it wouldn't have occurred to me to use them for emotional support beyond middle school. My friends knew what to say; my parents didn't. I ended up using them more for college advice and practical stuff.

Of course. All this no whacking rule has made it impossible for you to recognise parental discipline.

They get mad cause its a "I told you so" moment. You give someone advice and they don't take it, its irritating as a parent.

Verbal abuse can be as emotionally traumatic as physical abuse. It is all too common in families.