Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 6 months ago

How to get a visa to move to America?

I want to move to LA so I can be closer to record deals and it is much easier to find work as a singer there. I know you have to get a visa to travel there but how would I be able to live there, I am coming from the United Kingdom. I really need help on what to do cause I have no clue. Any help would be appreciated. If I have not been signed yet and therefore do not qualify for a work visa or am not studying there and do not have family...

You need to get signed in the UK - record deals are not exclusive to the US

• Foofa

Your understanding of the record industry is a bit lacking. L.A. A&R reps historically have a bias against hometown acts and would rather sign a Canadian teenager with a YouTube following than the aspiring singer who waits on them at Nobu.

Based on what you've written here there is no legal way for you to live in the US. The good news is you don't have to. The days of the label showcase went away with local signings like Guns N' Roses, and that was a long time ago. Now it's all about your online following. Also, just based on competition and population density you're more likely to get a UK deal than to be signed to a US label (never mind that all the majors are co-affiliated anyway).

So stay in the UK and create a large internet following. That's the way business is done these days. You gain nothing by overstaying your tourist privileges and working illegally just to support yourself while you tilt at windmills here.

• Lisa A

You need your US citizen parent, sibling, spouse, or child over 21 years old to file form I-130 for you. You will need them to get you a family reunification visa, since here are no wannabe recording artist visas.

First become a musical success in the UK.

• Maxi

You don't, it is as simple as that....... and if you can't make it in the UK then you won't make it elsewhere

LA is hardly a center of record deals. Most of the music biz is based in Nashville, Tennessee now. LA is loaded with wannabe actors, not so much musicians (at least no musicians with enough knowledge of the biz to know they are in the wrong place).

Become an internationally renowned musician in UK - like Elton John, Beatles, and thousands more over the past 6 decades or more. Then if your agent gets a contract for a concert tour, performance, appearance in the US, the reputable US producer will apply for your P or O class temporary employment visa. You will be allowed into the US long enough to fulfill your contracted appearances.

Eventually, if you're famous enough, contracted to work in US enough, you might be able to get appropriate immigration visa & legal permanent residency in US. Like, for example, Celine Dion.

But you are NOT coming to US to get "discovered."

You will need to get signed up in the UK. Moving to LA would be a chocolate teapot even if you had a work visa. There are millions of waitresses in LA 'waiting' to be discovered.

Once someone has signed you up, you will find the visa process is very straightforward.