Can someone who knows a thing or two about folklore please answer this?

Okay, so you don't need to believe me on this one but as a kid for 3 nights in a row I couldn't fall asleep for a good long time because of a little humanoid creature that kept dressing in different Halloween like costumes. I was for sure awake, though maybe I was hallucinating, ether way; does anyone have any idea of what sort of creature this sounds like? I cant find anything for little humanoid creatures that like to scare children.

It's a boggart!

• Tina

It sounds very interesting. Most small supernatural creatures that haunt houses - like brownies, tomtes and house elves generally don't like being given clothes and this one, with its multiple Halloween outfits is certainly different.

I suspect that you probably had a slight fever which got worse at night, and gave you very vivid dreams which caused you to see it. If you are at all interested in writing it would make a rather good short story.

Sleep paralysis. The mind is awake but the body is asleep, then the nightmare or hallucination kicks in.

• Janine C6 months agoReport

Some people may say it's something from the spiritual world or other dimension and may not be friendly or positive in nature. I recently read the story of The Harlequin in Wisconsin. It made me wonder if such beings could really exist. Look it up. Then again, it may just be your imagination

Sounds like a hobo has a wardrobe...

• Just6 months agoReport

A hobo the size of a small rat maybe.....

It is folklore. The mind is a powerful thing and hallucinations can trick you into thinking what you see is real. Even touching what you see can feel real as that is your brain still tricking you. Seek a doctor and tell the doctor about what you are going through. Include frequency, time of day, breathing, stress level, and any other symptoms that happen before, during, and after... Such as nosebleeds, dizziness, nausea, headache, and etc... When you don't get enough sleep especially for a long period of time this can and will effect you physically and mentally.

• Just6 months agoReport

Point missed, but thanks for the effort.

• Sparky

It sounds like some kind of Sprite or Elemental.

• Dubbs

It could be some form of elemental or mischievous entity. They generally have rules about associating with humans, or even making their presence known to us. They can phase in and out of our reality, but after a violent uprising during the dark ages, seeking out witches and devils, they've chosen to break contact with us.

It dosen't seem unreasonable that they'd show themselves to a child though, kids tend to react less violently and more so with curiousity rather then fear.

Some of them are known to be rather mischievous creatures; although the tales generally say they like to hide things or move things around, such a prank on children doesn't seem too far removed.

• Tina

The witch hunts came after the Middle Ages.

• Satan

It's called a 'bogeyman'