Is it justifiable for the US to continue to maintain such an incredibly expensive military?

Honest question as I am by no means an expert in the military. There's been no major wars in a long, long while. We're pumping out tanks, jets, and ships that will never be staged on a battlefield. The majority of soldiers aren't being deployed. And so, serious question, should the US need to... show more Honest question as I am by no means an expert in the military. There's been no major wars in a long, long while. We're pumping out tanks, jets, and ships that will never be staged on a battlefield. The majority of soldiers aren't being deployed. And so, serious question, should the US need to maintain such a massive military in the face of a world where our skirmishes are generally limited to fighting a few dudes in the desert?