Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 6 months ago

Should I study Latin or Spanish/Latin American studies?

So I’m in High School atm and I’m taking a different language to the aforementioned ones. I took some Latin in primary school and I really liked it and also I really like Percy Jackson books LOL. But recently I’ve been interested in Hispanic media and history and I just think it’s a really cool language so I’m tossed up between the two any advice would be great thanks.

Favorite Answer

Both languages are awesome. Latin is a dead language while Spanish is the second most spoken language in the world. Spanish language gives you more work opportunities but i believe you should choose what you love most.

Latin language -> Job opportunities include mainly working as a latin teacher. Check job opportunities before applying for an undergraduate degree, such as working at a museum or a library.

Spanish language -> Teacher, translator/proofreader/typist/transcriber/books editor/writer as an independent freelancer or working at a publishing house, working at institutes of languages studies (and linguistics) and maybe at a library.

You will be able to use Spanish in a lot of places.

Latin maybe in the Vatican.

If possible, study both. Maybe you could fit one of them into summer school or community college classes while still in high school. Although Spanish is more useful in everyday life and the world of work, Latin is a lot of fun and is very useful in understanding our own language. In my opinion, not dead at all. Also, it will help exercise your brain.

That totally depends on what you want, and they're not that different *from* each other. I took Latin because I thought it was cool, and it help me get a great score on the Vocabulary section of the ACT. I later decided I wanted to be a foreign language teacher, and again the Latin helped me a lot with the Romance languages.

• ?

Well, latin is a dead language, so it doesnt really have many real world applications. If you took spanish, you could travel to a spanish speaking country and converse more easily with the locals. Also, from what i remenber, latin was a terribly disorganised language with a ton of rules about verb formation and the like based on the exact context, so it would probably be a lot harder to learn

• Chi girl

Latin grammar is very organized.

Latin is kindof a dead language, but it's awesome. You could actually use Spanish quite a bit in life.