Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 5 months ago

How to deal with a parent being in prison?

So for the past 3 years my childs father has been in prison. I refuse to take my child to visit him as i do not think its appropriate for a child. She is 7 now and in the past i told her hes just on holiday, lately shes asking more and more questions do i just tell her where he is. I do not want her to feel abandoned by him.

• David
    Favorite Answer

Be honest. "Daddy did something wrong and is away in jail for a while. He loves you and I'll take you to see him when you're old enough. He'll be so happy to see you and tell you how much he's missed you."

i would tell her and take her to visit hirn

You shouldn’t lie to your child. That will only teach her that lying is okay. Best to be honest with her to establish trust.

Her feeling abandoned is not an issue, your problem is gonna be she is gonna wonder why you've been lying to her so long.

It might be time to tell her the truth, she will likely find out someday and it is best if it comes from you.

You are abusing her with your lies. She has a right to know her father, and your talk about it’s not “appropriate” is self-serving nonsense. Why isn’t it appropriate? You should be ashamed of yourself.

• Sarah5 months agoReport

The visit room is huge most likely has a few child predators in too. Be more child abuse exposing her to that kind of people

• Mark

No matter how you may feel about his reasons for doing what he did and landing up in prison, to take your anger and frustration out on your child by denying her right to visit her father, only makes it worse. Sure, seven is a young age to have to deal with adult issues, but you might be suprised by how mature she is about it, once you tell the whole story.

As for visiting, I suggest you get in touch with your local prisoner family visitation rights group for advice and assistance on the best way to approach it. Here in NZ, we have Pillars, which goes a long way towards bridging the gap between incarcerated parent, and child/ren missing that parental contact.