I recently bought a Minolta XG-7, however, after checking if everything was working (it was) suddenly the shutter curtain stopped winding?

The film advance lever didn't seem to go all the way and after some fidgeting with the bottom screw, I realized the shutter was stuck halfway across the frame, not allowing me to release it. Is there anyway to fix this? I have tried to adjust the winder and idle gears under the bottom cover, however, this has not helped at all. Is this worth a trip to a repair shop or do I just give up? Can I fix this at home on my own? The photo shows what the shutter looks like. When advanced all the way, the curtain is about 4/5th accros the frame. Thanks in advance!

Press the shutter button as if taking a photo. Also under the camera on the base plate is the shutter release button which allows you to disengage the clockwork wind on film advance lever and rewind the film back into its cassette.

• Frank

Carefully take your fingernail and push the metal part of the curtain to one side and then quickly release it as if shooting a rubber band. The sudden movement is usually enough to get the shutter in the right position.

This might be an indicator that your copy has a gear problem. If so, you might be able to find an independent repair shop that could repair it providing that they've got used parts lying around. In that case, be prepared to spend between $75~$100 to get it fixed. Of course, it'll be cheaper to just buy another one off of eBay.

Minolta was never considered to be a great camera manufacturer, especially in their later years in the 1990 when they basically went out of business. Their AF cameras were notorious for breaking down due to cheap plastic parts. Minolta knew about this issue but continued to produce plastic-mount cameras that came into the shop where I worked as college kid. At one time I had one customer dropping one off for repairs, one picking one up from being repaired, and another buying a replacement for their broken SLR. All at the same time!

Do yourself a favor and do not invest too much into a Minolta system. If you want to play with film, go with a Nikon or Pentax, both of which still use the same lens mount. And both were very, very reliable cameras.