Is it safe for a lesbian couple to be together in Abu Dhabi?

We are both expats. I know it's illegal to show affection in public, also for straight couples. But my girlfriend is a tomboy with short hair, undercut. If ever we are questioned, is there a possibility that the police will check our phones for pictures, conversations and social media for proof? As obviously we have couple pictures on social media like Facebook and Instagram.

Despite what the Westerner believe, UAE is a very peaceful country and people is very respectful of one another (most of the time). First rule apply to all - do not show too much affection in public. In general, if you are living your life normally, no one would bother you. The police will not ask you anything unless you did something wrong or someone report you i.e. you were being loud and the neighbor was not happy. Otherwise, you are fine. Many straight woman has short hair too.

• H

Nobody will bother you as a lesbian couple, as long as you do not show any sexual affection in public. I don't know where you are from, but I see many so called Tom Boys from the Phils in the UAE working as servants, sales ladies or cashiers.

One friendly advice: if your gf looks very masculine, she should tell ladies in public restrooms. It happened to me before, that I called security, because I thought a guy was in the ladies room. Later I felt sorry. Just try to avoid such situations. Enjoy your stay.

• Jason

As per the law in UAE, it is illegal for a unrelated or unmarried straight couple to share a room, you can share the room as friends, if somebody ask tell you gals are just friends

No, homosexuality is illegal there and is heavily suppressed there, and punishments and penalties range from prison, death, deportation, chemical castration, vigilante execution, torture, beatings and fines

No, it's not safe. If you're homosexual then it's not safe to visit a country where being homosexual is illegal and will get you thrown in prison for life. Yes, they can search your phone. They have personal privacy rights and fair trials in the United States but outside the USA these rights are rare.

You could always hang around in the gallows.

So why go to Abu Dhabi? There are plenty of places to visit in the world that do not have rules about sex and sexuality.

• Eira12 months agoReport

It's not only for a visit. My girlfriend is from a poor country and had a good job opportunity in Abu Dhabi. It's not easy for her to get a job elsewhere. Why dont you answer the actual question. I wasn't asking for a different option.