Should I foot the repair bill or just finance a different vehicle?

I am currently financing a 06 Chrysler PT Cruiser. I have only had the car for 9 months and a myriad of problems have surfaced since then. Aside from the battery issues I had within the first month and a half of owning the car, the radiator has been replaced and is still causing issues to this day, the alternator had to replaced 4 months into me owning the car, the AC system has had a leak since I got the car, and now I'm currently dealing with a shaking steering wheel when I drive on the freeway, and my brakes leaking fluid within a day. I have yet to calculate how much repairs would be, but should I just return it for something better? CAR PROS ONLY please.

What could you sell the car for AS IS?

How much would the repairs cost?

What would the car be worth after repairs?

There is NO SUCH THING as returning it for something better.

• JJ

A 06 PT is barely worth $1500 why did you finance it.

The battery was bound to go. 5 year batteries can often stretch sometimes to 7 years so an '06 car +7='13+7='20 (As it is '19, battery was at TIME). That would have happened to ANY '06 car. It would be EXPECTED.

. The alternator is one of those things related to the battery. If one is sickly, the other suffers too. If you recognize the battery failure early you can avoid the alternator failure. Some refuse to recognize the battery issue so it also mucks up the starter. So 3 things go. Had you been on top of the battery immediately it would only be the battery. So a $100 approx. If you let it go, you are looking at $1000 approx. as alternator and starter is about $400+ each, so the additional $800+ is your fault. Shaking steering wheel could be you simply lost a wheel weight and a wheel is unbalanced. That is an easy fix. Brakes need looking into after 13 years. Radiators don't cause issues, drivers cause issues. Radiator just holds coolant. Water pump may go after 13 years. You get it cheaper because it is old and some stuff may start to go. You are gambling it will go slowly one by one so you can pay for it when the time comes.

• Scott

Do your homework before buying a vehicle. A few minutes spent googling "PT Cruiser problems" would have told you that these cars are crap. They were crap even when new, and you have a 13 year old one.

• Ron

You should sell it for scrap and find a more reliable vehicle. Next time, research before buying. The PT Shitster, excuse me Cruiser aka Dodge Neon, has never been anything but junk.

• JetDoc

You can't just "return" a car you've owned for nine months, Skippy. You bought it. It's YOUR problem to fix. Next time, when buying a USED CAR, have it inspected by an independent mechanic BEFORE you agree to buy it.

You cannot return it after 9 months

You cannot drive it until you get the leaking brakes fixed.

You could try trading it but you will have to sort out your current finance arrangement first as you no doubt owe more than the car is worth.

Did you buy this from a buy here pay here lot? If so then yes take it back. Buy here pay here lots many times have problem vehicles that they buy for cheap, then sell them for way over market price for a comparable vehicle.

Always get a used car inspected by a mechanic before buying it.

Try to negotiate a good price on the replacement vehicle.

Probably yes.

You cannot ''return it for something better''. You can trade it in but I guarantee you'll get a lot less than you paid for it and most likely you actually owe more than it is worth and a dealer cannot roll negative equity into a new loan unless you buy something substantially more expensive and you have a long credit history and good credit.

Besides that, since you are apparently pretty clueless about cars, how are you going to tell if the vehicle you replace it with will be any better? The answer is you won't unless you have a friend or family member who really knows cars or you are willing to pay someone a couple hundred bucks to do a very thorough pre-buy inspection. You cannot trust the dealer or person who sells you a car to do that.

I can't tell you whether the car is worth keeping because I know nothing of it's history before you owned it nor can i inspect it. What i can tell you is that all your troubles have been relatively minor ones and someone with a basic knowledge of cars could have dealt with those problems easily or even avoided them with basic preventive maintenance. Likewise with the current problems.

Good luck because you'll need a lot of it as a used car owner with very little mechanical knowledge or skills.

• arther

if its leaking brake fluid it should be fixed before you drive it any further really.