Ruby asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 9 months ago

Is the word 'fat' rude?

If it is, why do overweight women call themselves curvy when they're not? What is wrong with plump? I think plump is the best word for it.

• Judith
    Favorite Answer

I think it's rude. But then not many people are so rude as to call an overweight person anything in reference to their weight.

Plump means a person who is a little overweight which is a big difference from someone who is actually obese or morbidly obese. It's a definition you can look up yourself.

I refer to myself as fat and I think being fat is gross. When it comes to clothing the clothing industry refers to those of us who are overweight as "fuller figured."

I don't care but I do care about people who are rude. It is not necessary for anyone other than a doctor to make comments about a person's weight.

As usual, it depends on who's saying it to whom and in what circumstances.

• Marla

Many would say it is. There is always a “proper” euphemism in vogue.

Women are the masters (mistresses?) of denial.

They're curvy, big boned, BBW, blah blah blah.. you've probably heard them all. But if Greenpeace try to push you back into the water when you're lying on a beach, then you're fat.

Being positive I call myself "thin challenged."

Source(s): my wife hates "plump"
  • Z

Over time any word can become offensive, and people have to look for new words to replace them. Fat used to be a cool word, now it's offensive. So is 'chubby', which used to be a cute word, just like plump. But even plump is out now, and we just have to go with the flow. Curvy is the in thing now. But I agree with you that fat people are NOT curvy, even if that's what they call themselves nowadays. Before, I used to think that curvy meant having curves, but I guess that's not it anymore. So, when reading people's profiles, I always have to mentally adjust "curvy" back to "fat" in order to get a more accurate idea of their physical description. The good thing is that even the word "curvy" will go out of fashion and become offensive someday, because nobody would want to be associated with it as more and more fat people begin to call themselves curvy. If we're lucky, "fat" may come back into vogue.

• MCM

There’s a couple of plump girls I want to f#ck really bad