Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 6 months ago

What astronomical changes killed all dinosaurs?

Was it climate change or some asteroid fell on them? If they were on Earth for 165 million years, I doubt it's climate change.

But I also don't think an aestroid would kill all. There have got to be some survivors too.

And could the dinosaurs have understood that their end has come?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

what dinosaurs do you speak of? there is no evidence of dinosaurs

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

So far, the evidence seems to indicate it was an asteroid strike that got 'em... During their reign on the Earth, the climate went to warmer than it is now, to much colder, several times - and, they apparently survived. (Warmer climate seemed to facilitate quicker evolutionary changes.) Then - 65 million years ago, the impact of the asteroid on the Yucatan peninsula seems to have wiped out about 75% of the land animals (and many plants) on Earth. There were a few survivors - but, the close of the dinosaur era allowed mammals to rise.

• 6 months ago

Survivors?

alligators, caymans and crocs.

turtles, tortoises and most sea life

lizards and snakes

frogs, salamanders and toads

small mammals

birds

worms, insects and spiders

I am sure a bunch more made it.

• 6 months ago

The Chicxulub Impactor killed off non-avian dinosaurs who may already have been going through some kind of ecological crisis, although that last bit has recently been disputed. If there had been enough survivors to form a small "herd" as it were, as opposed to the occasional isolated survivor which is possible, they would've reproduced and repopulated the planet, so there can have been no survivors who didn't die within a couple of centuries of the event, probably much earlier, of starvation. It's possible that small carrion-feeding dinosaurs would have had a slight population bump just afterwards, but once the food supply was gone they would soon disappear as well.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

All supporting facts suggest the 6 mile wide meteorite traveling 38,000 MPH that hit earth some 64 million years ago was the last mass extinction event to finish off the last of large animals.

The blast equal to 14 X 10 ex 14 tons of TNT. (140,000 hydrogen bombs)

Fossils show suffocation from dust killed most, the "nuclear winter" the rest.

The drastic change in environment, what was able to adapt, became the ancestors of animal life we have today

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

I know. I don't know why all the dinosaurs died, but life still evolved. From what- amoebas!?

• 6 months ago

So this really big rock, called an asteroid, crashes into the Earth really quickly. That causes billions and billions of tons of rock to be vaporised and go into the atmosphere. This means that little light from the sun can reach the planet, where it's needed to keep things warm and allow plants to grow. Nowadays we call this a "nuclear winter" and it causes all the big animals on the planet to die.

I hope this explanation is simple enough for you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.