Hardwired pool pump gfci?

Im having my in-ground pool remodeled and my electrician say that my new pool pump doesn’t need to be on a gfci breaker or an gfci outlet is that correct. The pumps wiring is coming straight from the main panel in the house straight to the pool timer. We are located in Jacksonville Florida incase florida has its on rule on this

Unless there is a GFCI built into the pump, he IS NOT a legitimate electrician.

• JoKyoNim

1 in a pump is useless. What abt the connecting point or plug in point? Or protecting the whole circuit itself. GFCI breakers in this case would be best.

NEC electric code would require a GFCI breaker. I would check local codes which can be found at your local municipality or town halls.

Anytime water and electric are in an area together you need some sort of protection. A ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

The pump itself technically does not need a GFCI, but since you are dealing with water, pool and people it would be wise to. And location of the pump should be considered. The hose on the pump can break or leak. Water can be splashed and cause a issue. Who knows it could be installed incorrectly or wires be exposed to elements and have to potential to hurt/kill someone.

Now if something tragic were to happen, god forbid, YOU the owner is responsible as well as the installer. The price of a GFCI breaker is nothing compared to someones life.

Another is if it is hardwired he is supposed to use WATERPROOF material/parts. Such as waterproof wire nuts and fittings, box and cover. This is dictated in the NEC, codes. It is not a may, or should. It is a MUST USE.

• Nuff Sed

If the pump is more than 10 feet from the pool, you have different rules in play.

Regardless of the local rules a circuit breaker is very important when electricity and water are involved

local electrical code controls. you can ask for free at your building permits department. my understanding is that the pump itself does not need a GFCI as there is no exposed wiring. However, the outlet, because it is outdoors, does.

Source(s): grampa -- certainly, I wired my outlet up with a GFCI ... take no chances of someone using an electrical tool falling into the pool and being electrocuted

If the breaker is GFCI then no.

• Nuff Sed

Read it again. Electrician said "my new pool pump doesn’t need to be on a gfci breaker..." The question is whether that statement is correct. Your answer doesn't address that question.