What's the best way to cool down a small space aside from air conditioning?

I live in a small studio apartment, maybe a little smaller than the average two-car garage. I only have two windows in my apartment and unfortunately they're both too small to hold an air conditioner (they open to about 16x16). Currently my only method of cooling is one standing fan, and although it provides some relief it really only moves air around versus actually cooling things down. I've tried an evaporative water cooler, but unfortunately that didn't really work as it's humid where I live and that just made things more humid. I've been able to tolerate things until now but as we head into the dog days of summer it's just getting more and more uncomfortable! Any creative ideas for getting the space to cool down?

• Jeff D
    Favorite Answer

There is at least one extra small A/C unit on the market. If you remove the side panels, it's 16" wide, 12" high and 15.2" deep--so it just might fit.

Otherwise there are room A/C units that vent through a hose (you have to manually empty the condensed water).

See links below.

• Jennifer7 months agoReport

That little a/c is just what I've been looking for! I think I'll give it a try - hopefully it just fits!

• In

A "Mini-Split" system or a portable AC system. The mini split only has 2 coolant lines and a power line penetrating the wall, and the dual hose system has two small diameter hoses going through a plate in the window. Alternatively you could cut a whole in the wall and install a thru-the wall AC unit.

Been there, done that. There really isn't any. And a small a/c wil not bust anybody's budget for electric. You won't even notice it.

• ioerr

put a draw fan blowing out one window, with both windows open. this will at least circulate air in from outside

ideally, the windows would be on opposite walls, and you'd have the fan in the window on the sunny side, so you're sucking air in from the shady side. and it would work better at night of course

a cheap box fan would probably work, though i guess most of those would probably be a bit bigger than 16x16

• Jennifer7 months agoReport

Thanks! Unfortunately both windows are on the same side of the space (maybe 4 feet between them), but if I find a fan small enough I can give it a whirl!