What's the best way to cool down a small space aside from air conditioning?

I live in a small studio apartment, maybe a little smaller than the average two-car garage. I only have two windows in my apartment and unfortunately they're both too small to hold an air conditioner (they open to about 16x16). Currently my only method of cooling is one standing fan, and although it provides... show more I live in a small studio apartment, maybe a little smaller than the average two-car garage. I only have two windows in my apartment and unfortunately they're both too small to hold an air conditioner (they open to about 16x16). Currently my only method of cooling is one standing fan, and although it provides some relief it really only moves air around versus actually cooling things down. I've tried an evaporative water cooler, but unfortunately that didn't really work as it's humid where I live and that just made things more humid. I've been able to tolerate things until now but as we head into the dog days of summer it's just getting more and more uncomfortable! Any creative ideas for getting the space to cool down?