Lone Wolf asked in PetsCats · 6 months ago

Do long haired cats become short haired in the summer?

I tried to upload a photo but I don't think it worked. He's a barn cat. His back half is still long haird but his font half is that of a short haired cat. I never had a long haired cat before. He's my first. I said he's a barn cat because I don't know if being an outdoor cat would make him shed differently as I've never seen a ling haired indoor cat become or becoming short haired. He is just over a year old. His birth sister that I also have is a short haired cat. She was the only one in the litter with short fur instead of long. And yes I bring my barn cats inside when the temperatures drop.

No. If your cat's fur isn't short ALL over then this cat is considered a domestic longhair. They can have long hair all over but in domestics far more often they have shorter hair on the body and longer hair on the tail.

When it get colder out the undercoat DOES thin out. I had a Persian who had to be combed at least every other day Fall and Winter or he'd mat. But after a shed in Spring I would only have to comb him every week or so.

Not all long haired cats are like that, though, but most do have at least some degree of less coat in warmer months.

• J C

It's likely uneven shedding, or some sort of skin disease? Check out his skin. And I do hope you get your barn cats spayed/neutered, and an annual vet visit. Barn cats perform a valuable job and deserve vet care!

• Arch

No. Their fur becomes a little less dense, but it doesn't really get shorter.