Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Games & RecreationHobbies & Crafts · 5 months ago

Could someone be born as 'untalented' or born to not be good at anything?

I'm a teen girl (15 yrs old), and I feel like there are a bunch of people around me that have some sort of hobby, talent, or something good to offer the world. Meanwhile, I don't have any hobbies and I barley know what I like. Not only that, but I'm not "talented" at anything either. There's nothing I'm really good at and I'm not sure how to find what I actually like. I thought I was into writing but I'm average at it but I'm not very creative and as a result.. I haven't written anything in five months. I thought I was into singing and photography, but I'm horrible at singing and I'm okay at taking photos and again, I'm NOT creative at all. I thought I was into art, but I can only draw heads and can't do anything like coloring, or bodies. I'm also terrible at crafts. The only thing that's sort of a hobby is that I listen to music and sleep 24/7. People my age have already found what they like and what they're good at. They're also excelling at what they like. Not only that, but I'm not very smart either. I always thought people either were good looking but unintelligent, or intelligent but unattractive. Maybe some people are lucky enough to be smart and good looking. I don't think I have any of that. As of now, I thought I knew what I wanted to do with my life but now I'm not sure at all. Was I born to be untalented and to be useless forever? how do I find my actual life purpose?

Do not go to these sites. They will steal your credit card information.

Anyone can develop skills. Many times someone appears to have a natural "talent" for something because they're passionate about it and practice often. Leonardo Da Vinci didn't paint the Mona Lisa as his first painting. He sketched, drew, painted, invented, and developed his skills.

And you know what else? He also kept fiddling with the Mona Lisa for most of the latter part of his life. That painting has layers upon layers of paint/varnish/paint on it, and would be impossible to clean as a result. He continued to add to it for years, suggesting that he was never completely satisfied with it. Yet, it is one of the most famous paintings in the world.

I just want to suggest that you might want to talk to a counselor about your feelings. It could be that you are experiencing situational depression or anxiety that is interfering with your ability to enjoy things. If nothing seems interesting, it could be because of that. Mental health is as important as physical health! If your foot hurt, you'd tell a doctor and find out if it was sprained or broken, right?

• Ronali

I think your only disadvantage is you're only 15. It takes a lot of time to cultivate an interest, work at it, get better and better at it, until it turns into a talent or skill.

I've been getting praise for my writing since I was 13, but that's because I started scribbling on blank sheets of paper since the 1st grade. I would even illustrate my own storybooks, purely for my own pleasure.

Writing is an activity where you can improve tremendously with consistent practice over a long-term period. If you're truly interested, schedule blocks of time, spread over weekly, when you'll do nothing but sit in front of your computer and type away.

With crafts, why not start afresh, but this time, try simple projects. I once turned a red wine bottle into a quirky-looking vase by using hot glue to attach buttons, and it took me less than an hour to finish.

Making greeting cards and bookmarks are relatively easy, too, or even cute gift tags that you can use for birthday and Christmas presents.

• Joe

Not really. If you think you are untalented and not good at anything, that only means you stopped looking too soon. Some people are lucky and find their talents quick, when they're kids. For others, like me, it takes years. It really makes no difference how long it takes, the key is never stop looking !

I'm not a doctor and this is not medical advice. You sound like you suffer from depression. Depression makes it hard to enjoy anything. See a doctor.

Keep practicing at your drawing and your photography, just b/c you're not good at it [in your opinion] now, doesn't mean you might not be down the line; so keep putting in the work.

Also, things are not usually binary- so attractive people can be good at stuff and/or smart, and less than attractive people can be not great at some stuff.

Keep trying new things, but also, it is okay to not be top tier at the things you try. Just b/c others may be already good at some stuff at your age, doesn't mean you were meant to be as good as them so soon... I thought I knew how my life was going to go, and things didn't unfold the way I figured. So have a plan or two, but be prepared for the plan to go unaccordingly; so keep moving forward, even if you don't know what you want to do with your life. Good luck.

Everybody is good at something. You could be good at something you never even thought of. Like spelling! It seems simple but why do you think there are spelling bees? Spelling is a great talent and could help you to later become an editor or a writer or maje your resumes sound more proffessional. Think about things that you take for granted. You take it for granted because youre so good at it you dont even think of it as a talent whereas someone who isnt good at that subject thinks of it as a curse.

You seem to be falling into a trap that many people experience. Yes, there are people who know exactly what they exceed at and have always been talented. But the great majority of people, such as yourself, dabble in different things and don't exceed at any of them.

You would benefit from switching your viewpoint. Instead of thinking "I'm not talented but like different types of things," you need to think, "What skill would I feel happiest doing if I could do it better?" There could be more than one answer. Then, here's the trick--work every day on improving that particular skill. It's no lie that practice makes perfect.

It's been said that in order to master any craft, people need to work 3 hours each day for 10 years. You have to really like something to put that much time into it! But no one said you need to be master--just keep practicing and you're bound to get better.

I believe you have the talent of observation, perseverance and never giving up! Don't worry about it. You will be fine!

• Carson

At the ripe ol' are of 15 you've tried every thing? You're not good at run if the mill hobbies. There are many more out there.

Archery, target shooting, trap - skeet shooting, rc cars trucks boats, drones.

This: You will want a car soon. Learn to work on a car. Get a cheap one and fix it. You'll learn a lot and have a car you fixed and trust when you are 16.

No matter what it is, do what makes you happy. That's why you have a hobbie. To be happy and relaxed