Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 7 months ago

Is it dangerous to refrigerate warm food in sealed tupperware?

The only reason I ask is I did this and the very next day it smelled slightly sour. Should I leave cover off until it is cooled? (I am new to tupperware.)

• denise

I always put the still warm food in the tupperware, and leave off the lid, on the kitchen surface [maybe covering with some kitchen roll] till it cools down, then put on the lid, and refrigerate till needed.

The steam will make the lid wet with condensation, eventually when it cools this drops onto the food and waters it down and could shorten the length of time of its freshness / useablity.

• Janet

I never put hot food into plastic.

I took organic chemistry, and understand that plastics contain carcinogenic molecules that can microscopically melt into the food if the food is hot.

Always cool your food off in a non-plastic container in the fridge ... and then, if you wish, transfer it to a plastic container once it is cool.

that would depend on what it is, what was in the container before that might have left an odor and how old was the food.

NOTHING spoils overnight. the danger to refrigerating warm food is it heats up the cold food around it and takes longer to cool off when all in a pile and covered.

• Lv 7

Well this did spoil overnight.

Stop it and go away

• Lv 7

Get Lost U creep!

• patty

I always wait for the food to cool down a bit after cooking till I put in fridge. if it is steaming up the plastic lid it is too hot.

Whenever you cook some food and want to refrigerate, try to cool it down FAST, e.g. put it in a bed of ice and water and then put it in the fridge.