Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 7 months ago

Is it dangerous to refrigerate warm food in sealed tupperware?

The only reason I ask is I did this and the very next day it smelled slightly sour. Should I leave cover off until it is cooled? (I am new to tupperware.)

6 Answers

Relevance
  • denise
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

I always put the still warm food in the tupperware, and leave off the lid, on the kitchen surface [maybe covering with some kitchen roll] till it cools down, then put on the lid, and refrigerate till needed.

The steam will make the lid wet with condensation, eventually when it cools this drops onto the food and waters it down and could shorten the length of time of its freshness / useablity.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Janet
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

I never put hot food into plastic.

I took organic chemistry, and understand that plastics contain carcinogenic molecules that can microscopically melt into the food if the food is hot.

Always cool your food off in a non-plastic container in the fridge ... and then, if you wish, transfer it to a plastic container once it is cool.

• 7 months ago

that would depend on what it is, what was in the container before that might have left an odor and how old was the food.

NOTHING spoils overnight. the danger to refrigerating warm food is it heats up the cold food around it and takes longer to cool off when all in a pile and covered.

• Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

Well this did spoil overnight.

• 7 months ago

Stop it and go away

• Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

Get Lost U creep!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • patty
    Lv 6
    7 months ago

I always wait for the food to cool down a bit after cooking till I put in fridge. if it is steaming up the plastic lid it is too hot.

• 7 months ago

Whenever you cook some food and want to refrigerate, try to cool it down FAST, e.g. put it in a bed of ice and water and then put it in the fridge.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.