Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 7 months ago

Who do I sue?

I am suing my former landlord. On the lease it says this agreement is between me and then has the landlords name (not the name of a business). They do own a property management company though, so I am not sure if when filing my small claims suit, if I should put the landlords names or the company's name. There are two landlord names on the lease(husband and wife).

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

Hello

Include all their names in the lawsuit.. EVERYBODY MUST GO DOWN....

Best

• Login to reply the answers
  • 7 months ago

You sue the LL and the wife if both are listed.

• 7 months ago

You sue the 2 landlords. The company name is not on the lease, therefore has no responsibility.

• 7 months ago

You sue the landlord, as that's who you have the agreement with

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 months ago

landlord's name, not managing company name.

• 7 months ago

You sue the people named on the lease. Their other business(es), if they have any, have nothing to do with your lease. Landlords do not have to register a company name in order to rent out an apartment or house to someone.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • 7 months ago

small claims court does not give you any advice on who to sue....just list them both (landlord and company).

if they aren't leasing under the company, the company will be found innocent by the court

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

More likely your suit against the wrong people (not party to the contract, not owners of the premises, not responsible for whatever you're suing about) will result in being ordered to pay the company's legal fees to defend itself. Nice going.

• 7 months ago

When you go to small claims court, there is typically a paralegal who can give you guidance on who you should list as the defendant(s). The defendant may vary based on your alleged complaint.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.