Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicSinging · 8 months ago

Can guys sing songs, which are recorded in a woman's key, on karaoke?

Is that physically possible or can't it be done? Songs like 'My Heart Will Go On', for instance.

If ya mean singing it in Falsetto or head-voice, then yes, that can definitely be done, and there are many male singers out there who do it.

Men usually sing an octave lower than what is being played so...

I can if I am smoking or having smoke blown across me

There is no such thing as a woman's key. Singers sing songs in a key that is comparable to their vocal range. Also the range of the song has to be considered. There are twelve major keys but there are fifteen major key signatures. The combining of two key signatures form what is called the enharmonic change. For example; the keys of C# and Db are played the same but the signatures are written differently The key signature of C# has seven sharps while the key of Db has five flats, but they are played exactly the same.

There are fifteen major keys that cover the 12 pitches in any octave. So if a soprano sang a particular song in G, so could a tenor or baritone - just an octave lower. Determining what fits who is also a matter of the range of the song, not just the key. They are no special keys just to fit women or men. Trained people determine ahead of time what key they wish to perform a certain song in. Karaoke is a roll of the dice - far less choices are provided. In voice class, I could by memory play every assigned song in every possible key, in the spot - as could all similarly educated teachers, or professional accompanist for singers. It is our job. We all can do it.

Source(s): Multiple degrees in music - taught Voice and Choir in schools of NY for 30 years.