How can I decipher the pinout for my analog joystick connection?

I have an arcade controller that uses an integrated joystick, however the controller also has a port that will allow me to connect an external joystick through a 8 pin mini din connector. The quality of the integrated joystick is not very good and the size incompatibilty with my new external joystick means I cant... show more I have an arcade controller that uses an integrated joystick, however the controller also has a port that will allow me to connect an external joystick through a 8 pin mini din connector. The quality of the integrated joystick is not very good and the size incompatibilty with my new external joystick means I cant swap them out. So I want to connect this new external joystick through the external analog joystick port.

I opened my controller and observed the connections it had. I made a simplified diagram where I show you the information I could gather.

I want to determine which of the 8 pins of the port I need to connect to each of my new joysticks terminals.

I can probably find J+ and J- by using a multimeter. I would find the pin that gives me a possitive voltage to be J+ and I suspect J- will be the 3 pins that are interconnected.

What I dont know is how to determine which of the remaining pins will be LJx (Left Joystick x) and LJy (Left joystick y)

I also dont want to just do it by trial and error because im afraid that I might cause a short circuit.

I appreciate any suggestions! Thanks!
0