Paige asked in EnvironmentConservation · 6 months ago

Urgently in need of advice!?

Next to my work, we are having a new supermarket built. They've cut down a bit area of grass and trees to do this. Every day and night either driving or walking to work, I see dead wildlife. There has to be something I can do or someone to contact. Seeing this daily kills me and I've studied animal at college for a certain amount of years. Please give me some advice of there is anything I could do just to save a few lifes. Thank you

This is called 'roadkill'. You can recycle most of it, by cooking and eating it. (Not badgers though, in the UK. There is a law against it).

• oikoσ

Too late. The time to act was when the project was in the planning stage. About all that could be done would be live-trapping the excess wildlife (excess because of the lowered carrying capacity) and relocation of the individuals. Unfortunately, they would either die elsewhere or displace the wildlife already there.

• Mark

Find out the local animal or rescue shelter in your area and let them know.

Well, there's civil engineering now that can help to prevent this. You'd have to work with several groups--Sierra, WWF, and other eco/animal habitat groups to put pressure on the city to re-engineer or modify with natural pass-over ways for habitat, etc.