how harmful is overheated butter?

i accidentally overheated the butter because i had something going on while i had it heating up.. i fried my eggs in it anyway then i just decided to see if it was safe i did a search and it said overheated oils cause toxic fumes and radicals that are harmful to human, i did not eat the food but i was breathing in the smell for a bit.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

Super harmful if it catches on fire and burns the house down.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Angel
    Lv 4
    6 months ago

Taste it. If it tastes fine, no worries.

Ps. Cooking butter (and sugar?) for too long is how caramel is made.

• Joe
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

What was going on that was so important that you over heated the butter ?? Were you having intimate relations in the kitchen again ?? Come on, you're the one that brought it up. Spill your guts.

• 6 months ago

I don't think you should be very concerned, since it only happened one time.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

It's fine to eat it.

• LizB
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Butter is a natural fat, and heating it is called "browning" the butter, which is a culinary technique. Butter and fake industrially produced fats like Crisco, margarine, and vegetable oils are NOT the same thing. The latter you shouldn't eat at all.

• 6 months ago

Butter is not the same as oils.

• 6 months ago

The food would have been OK to eat.

LOADS of things give off fumes that CAN be harmful if you are exposed to high concentrations for a long period. Scented candles are a bigger risk that hot butter

Our bodies can cope with the odd toxic fumes or dodgy food. There is no need to over react. The strain of worrying probably did more harm than the fumes ever could have.

• 6 months ago

oye, good luck in life.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.