Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 6 months ago

Why would Shakespeare put such contrasting themes about marriage/ love and hate in one play? I NEED THIS FINISHED TODAY!?

Favorite Answer

Shakespeare would do this because he could see the flaws of the system in his time. In the Jacobean era, women were placed into arranged marriages, such as Juliet being told to marry Paris. Furthermore, in much ado about nothing and Othello the same theme is seen where two people fall in love individually... it’s not forced by families. We could imply that Shakespeare does this because he believed in true love. Hate them comes into this because Shakespeare wants to show the audience how it’s unfair that two people can’t just be happy together and grow as a couple... because of the society they are in. Overall, we can state that Shakespeare is criticising the social constructs around the society he was in, showing how love shouldn’t be about money and religion but feeling and care for someone you choose to love. You could go even further with this and see it through a feminist lens and argue that Shakespeare is defending the freedom of a woman to choose her partner as women Couldn’t

• brooke6 months agoReport

You are very welcome! If you need anything else feel free to email me- brookemyhill17@gmail.com. I’m studying Shakespeare at the moment so I would be more than happy to help. By explaining stuff it also helps me revise concepts etc. I hope my input helped you !!

• Athena

Because REAL LIFE is often filled with contradictions.

You can hate, at times, the "love of your life."

• Cogito

Because real life is like that - complicated!

• Tina

It would help if you mentioned the title of the play you are asking about.

But marriage, love and hate are features in many people's lives. Why would he NOT include these very common themes?

• Marli

In which play? Be specific. Shakespeare wrote several plays on the themes of marriage, love and hate.

Frankly, I don't know Shakespeare's reasons for writing what he wrote. He was a deep thinker. I'm sure students of Shakespeare's works, like his audiences, read into the plays what they think he was thinking. Good educated guesses that may be close to the mark, but variable.

• Sreya6 months agoReport

This is for Romeo and Juliet :)

Because it’s a long play and he needed fillers.

Sounds like you better get to work on it then

Why are you screaming? And Shakespeare wrote many plays.