I want to get my cartilage pierced but I m scared what should I do?

I want to get it done next week but I have a very low pain tolerance and will probably cry but I really want it done (I already have my lobes done) any ideas on what to do?

Well, for starters, make sure you're getting it done with a needle instead of a gun. It's safer and it actually hurts less. You won't risk infection or shattering your cartilage, either. Needles beat guns every day of the week. Staying hydrated and eating beforehand will absolutely help you feel better. And, 100% agree with Laura. Talk to your piercer and be honest if you're scared. They'll talk you through it.

Keep in mind as well that the actual piercing itself can't really hurt that much. Assuming you're getting a helix piercing (the rim of the upper ear), the cartilage there is relatively thin and flat. The thicker the cartilage, the more painful the piercing. So, as far as cartilage piercings go, the one you're getting is likely pretty low on the pain scale in the first place.

Finally, the pain of a piercing is 100% temporary. You'll feel a great deal of pressure, followed by a hard pinch, followed by a rush of warmth. That's it. You'll experience some tenderness during the healing process, which takes several months. But if you're keeping the piercing clean (with saline solution/salt water, not peroxide or other harsh chemicals), that will help keep the tenderness to a minimum.

Drink a shot of whiskey then do it

• Laura

How much it hurts really depends on how you get it done.

If you get it done with a gun, it will hurt like a burn, and stay hurting like that for a long time.

If you get it done with a needle, it feels like a hard sharp pinch. It stops hurting after only a few minutes. Not only does this method hurt less, but you get a better quality piercing because you are getting this done by a body piercing professional because they are the only ones who can use a needle. It also takes a shorter amount of time to heal, only 6 - 12 months.

Be sure to eat something before you get pierced, and remember to stay hydrated. Tell your piercer that you are nervous, they should be nice about it and not be mean. If you want someone to hold your hand, you should be able to bring somebody to the back with you to get pierced.