Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 year ago

Is it legal for my boss to ask me to pet sit her dogs?

My manager is going away next week for two weeks for her honeymoon and she asked me if I could pet sit her dogs for those two weeks (stay at her house for those two weeks).

I personally have no obligation for this and am more then happy to do it, because there is only 4 of us at work and we all get on very well with each other! And i’ve seen her dogs multiple times! But just wondering if this was legal?

Your answers are very helpful! Thank you!

• 1 year ago

Yes, it's perfectly fine for you boss to ask you this. Provided that you're able to give the dogs the proper care which they need, then there's no problem.

1 year ago

If you're "more than happy to do it". sounds like you're working for free. Boss is playing you for a chump.

• Ocimom
    1 year ago

Of course its legal. But make sure you are clear on how much she intends to pay you for babysitting/housesitting for the time.

• Edwena
    1 year ago

It has nothing to do with issues of legality. There is no law about this.

• Maxi
    1 year ago

Of course it is legal to ask and legal for you to say no

1 year ago

Yes, it's legal to ask. I'm confused why you think asking would be illegal.

• 1 year ago

It is legal to ask.

It is also legal to refuse the request.

If it is not part of your job to dog-sit, you would be agreeing to something in a non-employment capacity as a favour.

• 1 year ago

You say you have no obligation.... do you mean no OBJECTION? and if so... why are you making such a big deal about it? She asked you a favour, you said yes... what IS the problem?

• 1 year ago

You don’t have to do it, it is totally legal. Why would it be illegal?

• Lili
    1 year ago

It's certainly not illegal. Why would it be?

If she demanded that you sit her dogs and threatened you with firing if you refused, then you'd have cause for action, but as it is, there's no problem at all.