help. i think i am about to be evicted and idk what to say or do.?

so one of my friends just got out of an abusive relationship and has beeen with me in my apartment for a good 2 weeks now and we need about 2 more weeks i am going to sublease my apartment and get one with her. i had a friend who started working at my leasing office.. but he turned out to be rude to me all the time and we become not friends and so im scared he is going to report me... he put in my notes on the lease without me even knowing that my friend is my sister and needed to stay with me for emergancy but... shes my friend and it was an emergency but idk if they loook at the notes or if he is now going to report me but im so scared like what do i do? should i just try and move out asap or tell her to find another place to stay?

so many things here.

I'm 99% sure that you can't sublease the apartment. And even if allowed, you would STILL be 100% responsible for the rent if the sublease tenants didn't pay. And if you are allowed to sublease, usually the landlord needs to approve the sublease tenants first.

2nd, just by moving, you would still be responsible for the rest of the lease. Even if you are on a month to month, you need to give at least 30 days written notice (maybe more, read the lease). And this 30 days starts on the first day of the following month. Give your 30 day notice on August 2, it starts on Sept 1 and you have until Sept 30 to move. AND!!!!!!!!!! (this is very important), you owe until the end of Sept, even if you move out early.

It's nice you want to help your friend, but she is creating a lot of LEGAL problems for you. AND the landlord (or leasing person) is NOT at fault. Rules are rules.

1 - you did not register your guest. 2 - you allowed your guest to overstay the allowed time period (or you wouldn't be scared). 3 - you got yourself in a mess through your own actions. Say - you are sorry, you mean no harm in hiding your sister and not registering her. Do - that depends on whether subleasing is allowed. Either way, you are obligated throughout the term of your lease.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.

The landlord has every right to evict you for having an unauthorized tenant.

You typically need landlord permission to sublease too.

What does the Lease say, regarding subleasing? Most restrict it..

what does your lease say about guest restrictions? if she is there less than a month, it might be okay if there are no restrictions listed.

either way you would get a cure or quit notice 1st giving you time to move friend out. You can choose to take your chances in court if she doesn't move out and hope you get a sympathetic judge as long as she is gone by the court date.

subleasing is another issue.

You can contact the office and inform them of the situation. The worst they will do is give you a notice to "Cure or Quit" which means you either cure the issue or you are in violation of the lease.

As long as you get out before they file for eviction, it shouldn't be a huge problem for you.

They may not legally evict if you are pro-active and let them know the situation.

What they really don't want is your friend establishing residency and then squatting. Its more difficult in some instances to remove a squatter than a tenant.

rnaybe you should tell her to find another place to stay if youre going to get in trouble for it

• marty

Everyone is bound by the terms of the lease. If they're that strict about having others stay with you I doubt they'd let you sublease.