Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 12 months ago

How to stop being afraid to drive?

I’m 26 year old and had my license for only 3 years. I was a late comer but I definitely feel as if it was worth it. I feel that more kids would be alive today if they had waited longer. But however I only drive from work, local places but I really wanna travel but I’m afraid of taking the high way. My summer could be so fun but I’m scared to drive to places.. please help?

• chris
    Favorite Answer

Obviously, you are not one of those idiots that would text and drive, but anxiety and hesitation can cause just as many accidents. Perhaps a driving class with actual on the road training would do some good.

As far as Highways go, most young people I have talked to have had problems with merging, people tailgating and being passed by trucks and other cars.

The biggest problem I see every day is people going too slow in the wrong lanes. This usually happens because some idiot told them to stay 5 - 10 mph under the speed limit to be safe. Not true! The safest speed is matching the general speed of those around you. You don't want to be the fastest or the slowest. Just keep it in between.

As for merging, match your speed to the traffic you are joining and do your best to time it right. Rule of thumb when in traffic and two lanes are merging without a yield, if the other cars front bumper is ahead of yours, they should merge in front of you and the same for you being in front of them. Remember, it's easier for someone to slow down than it is to speed up.

Tailgating, well, we have all seen that jackass out there trying to get there 1 minute faster by risking multiple lives. Not much you can do about him except get out of his way and let him go on to the next person. Sometimes, people don't realize they are too close and a gentle tap on the brakes just to get your lights to flash for a second is enough to wake them up and get them to back off. Another trick is to wash your windshield. The over spray will also hit their windshield and snap them out of it.

Other than that, use your signals and mirrors. Don't signal miles ahead of your turn because people start to think you don't know it's on and ignore your intentions, but don't turn them on at the last second either.

All in all, it's all just practice and learning how to read other drivers. I'm from NJ. driving amongst idiots is the first thing we learn.

Good luck

Get someone you Like and trust who likes to drive to do with you. Explain the situation. They can help you gain confidence. And if it should become overwhelming you can always pull over and have them drive. It gets easier with practice.

Practice driving in a parking lot that is empty. Sooner or later you will get it. I find that the written test is the hardest part. The older you get the worse off you are in remembering things. **** just goes right over the head and I have dealt with so much trauma in life that it's hard to remember **** anyway. I've forgotten a few things over the years until I gained some of that memory back. You don't want to get old and not know how to drive a car. Taking the bus is terrible. After a while it's crowded and teenagers are rude and the bus is not always sanitary. Learn to drive you have more freedom and independance that way. Keep trying you'll get the hang of it.

ASK GOD TO HELP U WITH YOUR CONFIDENCE AND GUIDE YOU..

• polly

What specifically is making you nervous of driving on the highway?.......

Is it having cars follow you too closely?

Is it merging safely?

Is it the claustrophobia you feel when big trucks are around you/right behind you?

Is it the fear of lunatic road ragers that get crazy for next to no reason?

Find a partner to ride with you, guide you and be your extra set of eyes. Take it just a mile or two out of your comfort zone and then return home. You will eventually get better. Do you have a GPS? They are a great help, too.

• .

Roadtrip highways usually aren't as busy as the ones in your city's downtown area.