Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesHonda · 6 months ago

Should I fix it or keep driving w/o a/c till trade in.?

I drive a 2016 Honda Civic Coupe LX, so I noticed that once summer started the A/C wasn’t working. I did my research and found out that Honda made a new a/c unit for it to be eco friendly with the EPA standards. I took it to the dealership and they told me it’s common problem for the A/C to go out since it’s a new A/C unit concept unlike the previous ones. It would cost about 2K and it could only be fixed at the dealership, I went to a few more shops for a consultation and they all told I have to take it to Honda to repair it. I’m out of the warranty time/miles frame. Should I fix or save my 2K and trade in the car end of the year?

If it's a common problem, why don't they have a recall or at least a TSB on it? 3 years old (regardless of whether or not it is under warranty) and they won't cover it? A good faith replacement would go a long way. Should have bought a Toyota. I know, I know, they are not as attractive or as enjoyable to drive, but they would've been proactive on this one, even if you're out of warranty. You lose a lot with Toyota in exchange for their reliability. That's how obsessed they are with reliability. Honda used to be that way. They are still reliable but not as reliable as a Toyota or even the Hondas of the past. Regardless, this car is worth fixing. Noone wants a newer car with a broken A/C system.

How much does the extended warranty cost?

If it's $2000-ish.. buy the extended warranty, get the A/C fixed and you can get future repairs done for a small deductible.

I think the thing to do is compare what you could get for it without repairing the AC versus with it repaired. I may be that the difference n value does not justify spending the 2K. Of course if you are going to trade it in I wouldn't bother fixing it at all.

Seems both a stiff price, and a short life for any automotive system.

My 2006 Ford just had it's very first repair (beyond normal maintenance) - the AC compressor failed: $720 total incl parts, materials, labor & tax at an independent shop . . . dealer wanted $1200 for the part alone.

In my case, my Ford is the best, most pleasant and reliable car I've ever owned - it owes me nothing after 13 years - so I decided on the repair. BUT auto AC repairs are notoriously tricky: often when it fails once it continues to be problematical. Up to you - but you can be sure that if you trade it in at a Honda dealership, it won't cost them $2000 to fix it !!

• xoom5566 months agoReport

I was having strong thoughts of repairing but I have a fear that it may happen again later in time, I might most likely trade it in for a SUV like a Ford Explorer or Honda Pilot. Thanks for your opinion