Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 7 months ago

What can the Old Testament teach us about Jesus?

Favorite Answer

Below are four things.

Isaiah 9:6 For to us a child is born,

to us a son is given,

and the government will be on his shoulders.

And he will be called

Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,

Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Besides the "Prince of Peace, he should be considered/called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God and Everlasting Father.

Isaiah 53:2 He grew up before him like a tender shoot,

and like a root out of dry ground.

He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him,

nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.

Most likely he was not as handsome as many movies depict him.

Dan 9:26 After the sixty-two ‘sevens,’ the Anointed One ["Christ" in Greek] will be put to death and will have nothing. The people of the ruler who will come will destroy the city and the sanctuary. The end will come like a flood: War will continue until the end, and desolations have been decreed.

He would die before Jerusalem and the temple were destroyed, which happened in 70 AD.

Dt 18:17 The Lord said to me: “What they say is good. 18 I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their fellow Israelites, and I will put my words in his mouth. He will tell them everything I command him. 19 I myself will call to account anyone who does not listen to my words that the prophet speaks in my name.

He would be like Moses, who brought to the people a new covenant, put it into effect with blood, and proved himself a prophet of God by performing many miracles.

• Glenn S

Great answer. I would include the prophecy made between 750-686 BC in Micah 5:1-2 that said the Messiah would be born in Bethlehem.

Study the typology. This is just off the top of my head (not exhaustive at all):

1. Jesus is the new Adam. While Adam failed, Jesus redeemed.

2. Noah's Ark. Jesus will return and wipe away all iniquity. The Earth shall be gloriously renewed and those who remain will inhabit it.

3. Isaac outstretching his arm and hand to over the wood is Jesus stretching his arm and hand over the wooden cross.

4. The sacrificial lamb is Christ.

5. King David is Jesus.

• Jake

A person can better know the true meanings of stories from the Bible by reciting the rosary each day with care.

• Glenn S

Parrot.....saying nothing

• Rayal

That his philosophy was a kinder more gentle God™ than the OT God™. Too bad that Paul and the rest of his later followers screwed that all up.

Several of the prophets tell us a great deal, and it all came to pass.

• Cowboy

The books have been rearranged so that it appears that Jesus is in the line of David - from which, prophecy says, the savior will emerge. So the teaching is one of fraud....

• Glenn S

Smoking loco weed again?

That he is Jehovah incarnate, that he wasn't very good looking, that he is the Messiah, and that he shall never do anything spectacular with humanity without first giving us fair warning through prophets.

• Glenn S

I guess you understand that by saying Jesus being incarnate your are contradicting the Mormon false teaching that Jesus is God. God in human/flesh form.

That the guy in the New Testament didn't fulfill a single prophecy.

• Glenn S

Genesis 3:15. The first prophecy in the bible predicting Christ and his defeating sin and Satan.

• EddieJ

It can teach you that some of the things that he said (that people attribute to Jesus) were already in the OT and he was just repeating those things.

He's Melchizedek and incarnate as 3 or more at once