asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 6 months ago

Why do people in a neighborhood (who are neighbors) prefer to have their own lawn care service and don't use their neighbors lawn service?

I do lawn care and noticed that everywhere that I have customers that each home has its own lawn service that is different from their neighbors and was curious what might be the reason for this?

you would THINK that neighbors would use the lawn service their neighbors use ? or why not?

THIS MUST BE A KIND OF PROOF THAT PEOPLE REALLY DONT TALK TO THEIR NEIGHBORS OR EVEN HAVE ENOUGH CONVERSATION WITH THEM TO ASK WHO THEY USE AND IF THEY DO A GOOD JOB AND HOW INEXPENSIVE THEY ARE? WHY MAYBE? OR IS IT SOEMTHING ELSE MAYBE? WHAT? WHY?

• Foofa

Unless they're in some HOA where there's a Board one can go to find a gardener people tend to make these arrangements at different times and therefore might not coordinate that well. But a landscaping service with decent marketing will go door to door to try to consolidate any many local clients as possible. Our gardener appears to do most of the properties on our street and he's so good that I recommend him when anyone asks.

• Lv 4

what is it that you like about him? what makes him "so good"?

I once used a service that my neighbor used--he did a good job for them--but for me he didn't show up --and was drunk when I called him-0begged and pleaded for a second chance--and 2 weeks later he didn't show again-so yeah--just because they are good for your neighbor doesn't mean they will do a good job for you! I also used my neighbor--who WAS an owner of a lawn care service--and he did a crap job after the first season--my lawn was a hot mess...I feel like he just wanted my lawn to look like garbage while his looked nice. so yeah--neighbors aren't always looking out for you.

• `

People don't feel the need to ask their neighbors for referrals when they can easily look on the internet and find the information they're looking for on their own.

• Lv 4

but why though? you know they have a good reference in your neighborhood and can see their work as you drive by. also, you might get a lower price since they are next to your neighbor

I asked several gardeners in my neighborhood who were doing other lawns, and their prices were very high. So, I decided to hire a gardener with lower prices. I didn't ask my neighbors, I walked up to the gardeners while they were doing neighbor's lawns. I'd rather hear from them what they charge. They may charge the neighbor something different, or they may not be taking on any new customers.

This is exactly the case where I live. We use one man; our neighbours use a small company; friends further along the road do their own; other people use a different man. We do all talk and exchange information but ultimately we generally choose to stay with the arrangement that we first made.

When our man recently raised his charges slightly, we were still happy to pay, as we like his style and enjoy his conversation, but other people dropped him at once.

Everyone's priorities are different.

• bluebellbkk

We know this BECAUSE we all talk and exchange information. Just because we HAVE the same information doesn't mean we all have to act on it in the same way.

People all over do not want to get involved in neighbors talk.

It's best to be left alone.

• Lv 4

so how having the same lawn service as your next door neighbor would lead to "neighbor talk"? I guess you mean gossip? or why has to be an issue? you show up and cut my grass and get the hell out of here and don't charge me too much?

it might have to do with privacy. people who live close to each other don't want to be connected too much and perhaps prefer to have their own private , personal lawn care service. and having the same lawn guy showing up might lead to some type of "Comradery" they would rather avoid.

they probably just rnade up their own rninds which ones to use and didnt ask neighbors about it

The reason might have to do with the price that they were offered.

• Lv 4

no, I think they are "friendly", but it is very superficial fake chit chat type of talk. not really getting to know each other, not really in depth conversations, more like "Feeling you out" chit chat instead.