Army Career Advice?

Hey, So i enlisted June 6th and I ship off to basic at Fort Leonard Wood in 12 days. My Mos is 35 November (Signals Intelligence Analyst). I'm super excited, but I want to make sure I'm setting myself up for success after (if) I get out. I dropped out of college after 1 year, it just wasn't for me. I'm planning on doing online school to get my degree while I'm in the service. I also will get Top Secret Security Clearance as part of my job. So, after my 5 years is up ill be 24, with hopefully a degree and top secret security clearance. What are my best options in terms of career paths at that point. I know I could potentially do civil service, my dad is a firefighter and I have options there. But, what are my options for FBI, CIA, etc etc other federal agencies. Do they recruit army guys with security clearances? Also, sidenote, my job is cool and all, but I'd love to do ranger school or some other kind of special forces. How do I get to that goal/what are the pros and cons?

• RICK

Chances of earning a degree in 5 years while doing military duty is almost impossible

You are normally not allowed to take any classes your first year and are restricted to how many credits you can get per year. One easy to partly circumvent those problems is to pay for it yourself

Plus as I found out you would need a new security clearance, military ones do not follow you after discharge

what I see and hear is a lot of ifs and buts and pipe dreams....and how you THINK things will go.

May the Force be with you, and may all your pipe dreams come true.

You haven't even JOINED yet, and you're already picturing jobs with the CIA at the back end. LOL!

It's good to dream, kid...........

non recruit army guys with security clearances-- unless you were spec ops

mainly they want people with graduate degrees with actual work experience

• olivia

Members of the U.S. Army face combat hardships and risk life while on duty to serve and protect their country. Beyond its call to patriotism and self-sacrifice, the Army attracts career soldiers because tangible rewards, such as salary, benefits and retirement, make being a soldier a worthwhile profession.

• y

the clearance does not follow you out of the service. Hope your plan works out for you, good luck.

you can get into the NSA since they run the SIGINT

• Fuhr

They government is always hiring people with security clearances. Those jobs are always in high-demand. With the military experience and a college degree, you should be set.