Is my husband being too strict on our son?

After my son was did not get accepted in the college that he had applied to, my husband enrolled him into a small community college that was close to where he worked. My husband devised a plan to help him get better grades in college. He woke him up at 5:30 am and they left the house at 6 am. When my husband got to... show more After my son was did not get accepted in the college that he had applied to, my husband enrolled him into a small community college that was close to where he worked. My husband devised a plan to help him get better grades in college. He woke him up at 5:30 am and they left the house at 6 am. When my husband got to work around 7, my son sat in his office and studied until his class began at 12:30pm.

After his class finished at around 2, my son had to go to the library to continue studying until he left work around 5pm. They got home at 6pm and after dinner, my son studied and did homework until bed time at 10pm. On weekends, my son studied and worked on assignments from 12:00 noon until 5 pm, with no breaks. I noticed that my husband rewrote all of his assignments to turn in.

Outside of school, my husband did not allow him to listen to music, especially while studying or watch TV. He also did not allow him to hang out with friends and discouraged him from socializing at school because he felt that the people who attended this school weren't that smart and could be a bad influence.

Eventually, they clashed after my son turned in his own essay, instead of the one my husband rewrote. A few weeks later, my son decided to ditch him to hang out with friends he met in his Speech class. As punishment, my husband decided that he wasn't going to help him anymore. After that, my son actually started doing better in school. Was my husband being too strict?