Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 5 months ago

Would you trust a therapist?

Who told you she lost your medical records do to a computer virus? According to the law in my state you are supposed to retain medical records for seven years post-discharge...does NOT matter if it's digital or physical the law explicitly spells out backing up files so they are accessible at ANY given time. A num nut on here told me I was paranoid and not credible for reporting her to the state. There's an investigation underway now...so what's the real valid answer? Just give me the facts of what you have to say about this violation of the law...cyberspace or not must be able to access files at any time

• John

I did for 5 yrs and feel much better from it.

• In

The word contains "The" and "Rapist". What do you think?

I wouldn't trust 'em.

The therapist is not evil but she's unacceptably ignorant about computers and the internet. She probably did something stupid and preventable to get a virus that completely destroys all her records. It's very much like Hillary Clinton. Although Clinton had the excuse of being 69 and really her people were the ones at fault for being too scared of someone powerful to tell her she wasn't following cyber security procedures.

Oh definitely not

My answer is no. I keep backups of almost everything I have. Her excuse is BS.

The computer conveniently caught on fire and blew up? Aw man, bummer! I hate it when that happens.

OBVIOUSLY, there was a back up as the records were eventually found. You are going off the basis that the therapist is evil, not that they made an honest mistake. You are trying to make a case that there is something willfully fishy going on.

That makes you sound paranoid and out to get the therapist.

I've had providers willfully with hold records they did have access to immediately. I've had providers engage in CRIMINAL acts against me. And the state/feds don't even care about that.

I filed a complaint against a seriously abusive provider. I had a nurse (not associated with the abuser) who was with me at the time. I listed the nurse as the WITNESS, but the licensing board investigated the nurse (who was not my provider, just a friend/witness) for misconduct.

I once went into a doctor's office with handcuffs prepared to lock myself to something in the office until they turned over the records.

If you were rational about it, you would be more credible.

Something like 'the therapist neglected to back up files. due to that oversight, she was not able to retrieve my records due to a computer virus.

It sounds like the therapist was just being lazy, not abusive like you make her out to be.

• edj19925 months agoReport

Plus, her own statement was that she did not have my testing...if this was the case why was it ONLY found AFTER I said something to the appropriate oversight agency?????

She's clearly in violation of your state laws for not backing up her records. But you said that they were destroyed by a virus, not hacked. So it doesn't appear your privacy was breached. There's an investigation going on, you said- so I don't see that there's anything you need to do. She'll be reprimanded and probably fined by the state.

• Mark

It's a violation (against HEPA rules), but she didn't GIVE them out; it was an accident. So she might get censured, but not fired, if that is what your intent was. In future, she should store those records on a computer not connected to a network or even (gasp) hard copies.