Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 6 months ago

What should I do, please, y'all? Should I bite the bullet and ask my friend out or let her find a guy her own age?

I met this amazing girl at a job interview about this time, last year- (neither of us got the job, just in case you're wondering), but a beautiful friendship came out of it, and we've been friends ever since that day- (meeting up regularly for drinks and whatnot!) We've become so close, as friends, it's unreal. Anyway, my friend's said that she's single and that she's looking for a new guy to date. I asked her to describe her ideal bloke, to which, she replied: "Pretty close to how you are, actually, babe!" I really like my friend a lot and I seriously want to ask her to be my girl. The thing that bothers me is that she's 19 and I'm 40, and I'm terrified that it's going to scare her, if I ask her out, and that she's going to think that I'm a creepy old bastard, and bang, just like that, that's the end of our bloody friendship! I really don't want that to happen. I don't want to freak her out, but I'll be honest: I'll be bloody gutted if she starts dating some other guy. What would you guys do in my shoes?

• Foofa

Sounds like she's dropping bread crumbs for you to follow. It's unusual that a 40 y.o and a 19 y.o. would have anything in common but I guess in your case you've found some basis of similarity. So go for it. Just expect some odd looks because most people will think you're being predatory in being with someone that young.

Do whatever you want, your both adults.

• Tepee

You already meet for drinks so you could easily suggest moving on for a nice dinner. If that goes well you should be able to sense her interest in something more.

• Eva

She's too young for you. 21 years is an entire generation. When you're 60 and retired, she'll only be 39 and won't want the same things you do.

Ask her, mate. You'll regret it if ya don't, trust me! Even if she says "no", it'll be a big weight lifted.

Just know that you miss 100% of the possible opportunities that you do not take and rejection isn’t a bad thing. It means they’re choosing not to waste your time.

As an a bit of an astrologer I can tell you that the best time for you to ask her out would be August 4th. It’s a good time for love and all that