Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 6 months ago

Why does everyone keep insisting I'm depressed?

I'm 16 and recently dropped out of school. I struggled with the work and new I wouldn't pass my exams. When I'm 18 I plan to get a job any job. I'm not fussy. Until then I just wanna chill at home. Watch TV, listen to music, eat junk food, I don't feel depressed. But my shrink (who I was forced to see because I have add) keeps telling me I'm depressed and insisting I try prozac. I've never been the ambitious sort, so it's not really a sudden change in me.

• Foofa

Unless you exist in some rarefied world "a job any job" isn't going to allow you to live independently. Now if you're so ADD that it's been determined you'll require parental or group home supervision for life that would be a different story. But if that's the not case you're going to have to develop the ambition to take care of yourself. TV, music and junk food all costs money and your parents won't live forever. So get into some kind of distance learning or vocational training because at present you're on track to become homeless in later life.

Even at 16, there is no excuse for you not to be working or going to school.You are avoiding getting a job because you can and because you know your parents can't legally kick you out. That's just plain lazy and selfish. Many people with add can get a job, even if it's McDonalds or Walmart. No, you are not too good to work at those places, you are a high school dropout so that is what you will get for a while. Or join the military. So don't blame your "disability" on the fact that you can't do crap.

You are a loser and a leach. Don't think that your parents are happy with this. I'm sure they're trying to find a way right now to legally get you out of their house for being a mooch and eating all their food. Don't think that being under 18 gives you a free ride for anything. Either that, or your parents are just a bunch of a couple of losers as you are, especially if they are letting you get away with this garbage.

In many families you either work, or go to school, or you can gtfo and they don't care what happens to your lazy rump.

Ask your therapist to tell you exactly why he or she feels you are depressed. There is a book called the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) and you can access it for yourself , on line, which would describe in specific detail what the criteria are for making a diagnosis of depression. There is more to this story...e.g., why you dropped out of school, and more than this. Your life right now sounds as if it isn't very fulfilling,and there must be more and better options for you. Having ADD can be depressing in itself for many reasons. And anti-depressant medications are sometimes used to treat it,, not just depression. You need and deserve some explanations, both from your parents and your therapist. Then, together, you can plan how to best get you out of the hole you are currently in. Good wishes, good luck, and by the way, I don't know if you were receiving any meds for ADD, but I'll bet this condition had something to do with your dropping school? Meds are considered the primary intervention for helping ADD folks, along with supplementary actions like structuring the environment, learning coping techniques and more.

probably because youre not doing anything to motivate or help yourself, you should probably start looking for a job

Because you ARE, that's why. And since you're still a MINOR, your parents can force you into treatment if you don't want to go. YOU don't get to decide what treatment is appropriate, either. That's up to your parents. Dropping out of school was STUPID, pal. It really was. Without an education, the only job you're going to be able to get is flipping burgers at Mickey D's or being a greeter at Walmart. Neither of those pays anything decent. You want to end up homeless, in prison, or on welfare before you're 20? Then keep pulling this sh*t and you'll get there in a hurry. If that doesn't sound like an appealing way to live, then GET OFF YOUR LAZY A** and get some help, and register for SCHOOL in the fall.

Evidently your parents haven't taught you that there are NO FREE RIDES in life. Neither THEY nor the world at large OWE YOU A LIVING, pal.

• Raven

He or she doesn't care if you are a boy or girl. Just because you're a girl doesn't entitle you to a free ride in life, either.

probably cause youre not doing anything to help yourself

I am not a pschycologist but as far as i know depression doesn't have just one type, you may even feel happy and still have depression or experience only some symptoms like being tired and without energy or having trouble concentrating. Depression isn't something you should feel ashamed of.

If you really ARE depressed, those people are the reason why! Stay far away from those toxic idiots.

• Janet

Clinical depression is NOT about feeling "depressed". It is diagnosed from physical symptoms and energy levels, interest in things and motivation.

If this is not a sudden change in you, perhaps you have "dysthymia" (long-standing depression) and have been depressed for years.

You are not a trained psychologist or psychiatrist, so you cannot diagnose yourself.

Since you are no longer in school, you need to go out and get a job. At age 16, you CAN find work.

And your parents no longer have to support you. They can kick you and your stuff out on the street. And are more likely to do this is you just chill out at home ... eating their food, not pulling your weight or helping out at home.

On the other hand, since you are not yet 18, they CAN force you to go into a residential rehab facility.