Is it normal , stepchild refusing to visit dad because he is afraid of me? Do he have that right?

His mother has full custody and says if the kid does visit I can't be there when he does. I don't think this is fair! His father and I think he is manipulating this situation.I kind of said some things to the child which he took literally and now he is afraid to be around me.

The mom didn't like I was physically disciplining her child. Or that I think a trip to juvenile hall would really help him.

no Iam the stepgirlfriend. I want the child to think of me as their mom.

• Foofa

These parents need to go back to court or arbitration to work this out. Clearly no one wants to traumatize a child so it's probably time for you to think about what you're doing that's so terrifying to this child. Ultimate the kid's mental health is more important than your presence in its father's life. So if you can't mitigate whatever behavior is frightening this kid you may have to just vacate your marital home while the child visits. The child is your spouse's first priority, obviously.

• John

If visitation is required by the divorce decree, and there is no requirement in the divorce decree that you be absent at the time of visitation, the mother cannot deny visitation because you are present. People do not have the option of disobeying court orders.

The mother can, however, go to court to modify the divorce decree to forbid visitation when you are there. Based on your message, the mother may very well have a good case for doing so. An easier solution might be for you to go somewhere else on visitation days, rather than hashing all this out in court.

It might be, if dad is actually making him afraid, sure.

You are the father of your stepchild? Ya might wanna take on the unreasonable burden of reading whatcha write before posting nonsense. You does have that right.

He doesn't have that right, but a reasonable parent will not force a child to visit under those circumstances.

• susan

He might have the right, and if he doesn't, he might be able to get a judge to order it, and then he certainly will have that right. You ought to comply with the request to not be part of the visit, but if you live with the father, you can ask them to meet somewhere else, so that you aren't being kicked out of your own home. And if the father chooses you over his own child, he should be deeply ashamed. Don't encourage the wrong choice.

Update: Now that I see you used physical discipline, oh yes, you must make yourself absent. The father could lose visitation rights over this.

• megan6 months agoReport

it is not fair his mother spoils him, so I have to be a hard *** to help him. He has to be miserable now or he won't be succesful later.Mother does not aggree.