Ty asked in Arts & HumanitiesTheater & Acting · 7 months ago

What can I do to improve my acting at home?

I’m in a short film at the moment and I’m interested in acting a lot, but I’m not in classes. I’m very ambitious and I want to do anything I can to improve until I enroll back in my acting classes. Is there any at home exercise I can do or is anything less than formal training pointless? Thank you.

I used to read aloud from a book, and act out the character's lines. It helped a lot with my facial expressions and voice.

Read plays and learn lines

I second some of the suggestions you have already gotten.

Read as many plays as you can. Prepare monologues from them but only after reading the entire play.

Avail yourself of any opportunities where you are now. School, community theater, storytelling at your public library.

Read aloud, it helps with diction, tone and cold reading. Pick a book that you like and read aloud. I've done this with several books I truly loved.

DO NOT "act in towards yours in front of a mirror" One can not act and observe at the same time. Acting is about being in the moment. As others have said, acting happens between people, not in a vacuum.

Try different acting techniques (Chekhov, Meisner, Stanislovsky, Alexander, etc). Not every type will work for you, but you'll eventually find one that really changes the way you perform. Doing their exercises will definitely help, and you can learn about them without having to take a class!

• John P

Acting is a person-to-person activity - even a one-man show needs an audience.

Read plays and scripts of all kinds to find characters you love and monologues you want to develop. Work on the monologues - analyze the scripts, think about the characters.

Practice sight reading - just pick up anything and start reading aloud with no preparation.

Stay healthy - exercise, eat right and the like. Your body and your voice are your tools - take care of them. Vocal exercises and movement exercises like yoga, Tai Chi even meditation can help you stay in touch with yourself. Being able to project a sense of energy without a bunch of unnecessary movement is a helpful skill for camera work.

But “acting” involves interacting and reacting to others. It’s not really something you do at home on your own.

• Cogito

You can practise learning lines, you can read loads of plays, practise reading aloud with feeling, learn about psychology, etc.

But you can't teach yourself acting. You can't assess your own progress or talent. That has to be done as part of a group of students, in a class, at a really good acting school.

On your own, all you'd be doing is acquiring loads of bad habits.

• Lv 5

act towards yourself in front of a mirror