bee asked in PetsCats · 6 months ago

Is there any evidence to support the theory that raising a cat from youth reduces the allergic reaction?

I am highly allergic to cats and get extremely wheezy and stuffed up when I visit people s homes who have cats. However, I have grown up with cats and have had many cats of my own, all strays and raised from 6-8 weeks old. I have never had allergies to my own cats. Is there evidence that if you raise a cat since it was a kitten, you re adjusting yourself to it s allergens? Or that from long-term exposure in my own home, my allergies reduce? I have stayed up to a week in other people s homes with cats and had an allergic reaction the entire time. It s the same for all breeds too. I have had mostly domestic shorthairs, for reference.

Seriously? This is the most stupid things I have ever read on here.

Allergic reactions come from a protein in the cat's saliva. It's GENETIC not manipulated by humans.

What you're reacting to in other people's homes is probably dust, molds, the detergent they use, the carpet freshener they use, etc.

• Mark

Yep. In fact, NBC did a story about just this a few years ago. That also explains the meteoric rise in really odd food allergies ("I'm allergic to water") - parents aren't introducing their infants to certain common foods. Some people from prehistoric times have been allergic to things like eggs, wheat, and nuts but being allergic to lettuce is just too much.

• PAMELA

Yes, your immune system gets used to your cat, not any other cats, i am the same, i cough and wheeze around my friends cat, but i am fine with my own,my friend now visits me.