Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 7 months ago

If you get in trouble at work for a policy/rule violation, can they punish you by taking money out of your paycheck?

I used to work for a restaurant that, in the event you broke a policy or rule of the company, would punish you by taking money out of your paycheck. For example- if you were caught not wearing a name tag, using your phone on the clock, or doing various other things that they did not approve- you would lose $25.00 per violation. I have been wondering for a while if this was legal- is this a violation of labor laws?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

Pretty good read on the topic but just for research not a legal opinion on my part.

https://www.masslegalhelp.org/employment-unemploym...

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

Nope, and a complaint with the state Department of Labor could get the company in hot water. Or a class action lawsuit by a labor lawyer.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

In the state where I live they can’t even dock you for having your cash register come out short at the end of the day. They tried to do that to somebody at job of mine and I contacted the labor department and they said it was illegal. In this day and age they can’t get away with stuff like that. Just like they can’t get away with child labor in factories anymore. That was outlawed in 1938. Like somebody else I believe said here they can maybe fire you even but they definitely cannot take away money that you’ve earned. Totally illegal

• 7 months ago

No, they cannot. They can fire you though.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 months ago

They can suspend you but you have to be paid your wages.

• 7 months ago

Yes. It's their business and they get to make the rules. If you don't like them work somewhere else.

• 7 months ago

I do not think that is legal.

• Eva
    Lv 4
    7 months ago

No they can't. It's against labor dept. rules. There are only a handful of authorized deductions. If you haven't been gone very long, you could still file a complaint.

• 7 months ago

Sates have different labor laws, call your state's board of labor and find out.

• 7 months ago

The good thing about your question is "I used to work..." It is not legal. Best thing to do is stay away from such employers.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.