If you get in trouble at work for a policy/rule violation, can they punish you by taking money out of your paycheck?

I used to work for a restaurant that, in the event you broke a policy or rule of the company, would punish you by taking money out of your paycheck. For example- if you were caught not wearing a name tag, using your phone on the clock, or doing various other things that they did not approve- you would lose $25.00... show more I used to work for a restaurant that, in the event you broke a policy or rule of the company, would punish you by taking money out of your paycheck. For example- if you were caught not wearing a name tag, using your phone on the clock, or doing various other things that they did not approve- you would lose $25.00 per violation. I have been wondering for a while if this was legal- is this a violation of labor laws?