Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 5 months ago

Should i appeal my reckless driving case?

I have a previous driving record of 5+ with no prior convictions. I was charged with reckless driving for speeding back in April, I thought my court date was July 18. However, my court date was July 8.

Originally I wanted to plead with the judge that it was a first time offense and take a class before court, in hopes he would lessen the charge. However since i missed the court date I was found guilty by being absent. My only option now is to appeal by tomorrow.

Now I’m wondering if I should appeal and get a new court date, in hopes that this next judge would consider lessening the charge, or is it a waste of time. I’m not saying I’m not guilty, i was just wondering if the next judge would give the opportunity to complete community service,etc, and reduce the charge.

Also- I was only given a fine after being found guilty for being absent, and I was told by somebody else that if I appeal the next judge may worsen my consequence for this reckless driving (ex jail time)

I have contacted a lawyer and am waiting to hear back, just wanted opinions.

lessening the charge, or is it a waste of time.

They can't make it worse.

As you apparently know, reckless driving can be serious and missing your court date is not good. Get an attorney

Talking to a lawyer is the best thing you can do. You won't persuade a judge, especially since you were a no-show.

Appeal for a lesser charge. Say your're sorry, yadda yadda.

• klypos

Since you admit guilt, I would say it is a waste of time trying to appeal. The best you could hope for would be a reduced fine on the grounds of financial hardship, you are more likely to get something worse, like your friend said.