Should i appeal my reckless driving case?

I have a previous driving record of 5+ with no prior convictions. I was charged with reckless driving for speeding back in April, I thought my court date was July 18. However, my court date was July 8. Originally I wanted to plead with the judge that it was a first time offense and take a class before court, in... show more I have a previous driving record of 5+ with no prior convictions. I was charged with reckless driving for speeding back in April, I thought my court date was July 18. However, my court date was July 8.
Originally I wanted to plead with the judge that it was a first time offense and take a class before court, in hopes he would lessen the charge. However since i missed the court date I was found guilty by being absent. My only option now is to appeal by tomorrow.
Now I’m wondering if I should appeal and get a new court date, in hopes that this next judge would consider lessening the charge, or is it a waste of time. I’m not saying I’m not guilty, i was just wondering if the next judge would give the opportunity to complete community service,etc, and reduce the charge.
Also- I was only given a fine after being found guilty for being absent, and I was told by somebody else that if I appeal the next judge may worsen my consequence for this reckless driving (ex jail time)

I have contacted a lawyer and am waiting to hear back, just wanted opinions.

lessening the charge, or is it a waste of time.