nanny in need of advice?

I've been a nanny for a family for the last few years. I have done a lot of driving for the children, sometimes up to three hours a day. My car has had so many miles put on it in the last couple of years. For the next couple of weeks while they are staying at the grandparent's cabin they want me to drive to the cabin everyday to pick up the kids and drive the kids down to the city, then back up at night. I'm nervous to drive my car for fear that if it were to break down on a windy road in the mountains that I wouldn't have phone reception and getting a tow truck up there would be a major pain. I'm fine to drive in the city like usual but not up in mountain roads. Should I just tell them I can't or should I risk it for my job's sake? I'd rather they drive the kids down to me.

Favorite Answer

To be a responsible caregiver you need to share your fears with your employer to let them decide on the risk involved or consider alternatives to avoid that risk. That being said, if you have been compensated for your use of your vehicle during the course of your employment, you should have been paying to maintain your car (or replace it) to overcome the mechanical issues you fear may occur making it an invalid argument.

But the bottom line is that it sounds like you aren't willing to do what this job demands of you, thus time to begin looking for something else. And in the mean time do what your employer demands because its best not to lose your job until you have another to begin immediately afterwards.

• edward

Say you can’t and why not. Although you should be keeping track of tour mileage and they should be paying you for that too

• Tulip

If you were really a nanny you wouldn't be asking this

• klypos

I would say that it is time for your car to develop an intermittent mysterious electrical fault which means you can't use it, because it keeps cutting out unexpectedly and the garage can't pin it down.. It only happens when the engine gets hot, after 10-20 minutes cooling off it will run again.

You should have it booked into a garage to be fixed the day before the family return from the mountain, when the faulty connection can be fixed in seconds.

• Geneva9 months agoReport

hahaha YES

• Mark

If it scares you, then by all means tell them, and in any case, they should also pay you for depreciation on your car. If you "just don't want to do it", you can just quite and they can get another nanny who will do this.