Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 6 months ago

Can CPS take my 10 year old sister away if my parents don’t want to get her assessed for autism (she has no signs of abnormal behaviour)?

Earlier this year, her school wanted my parents to get her assessed for special needs because she only plays with 5-6 year old kids. As in, she doesn’t have friends her own age and isn’t interested. My dad researched autism and says my sister has no other symptoms besides this one. She only seems kinda immature for her age, that’s all. Her schoolwork is okay and she was meeting all her milestones during baby/toddler years. The social worker left because she saw no problem. But now, she came back saying someone reported my parents again. I was confused because it’s summertime and she has no school. It might’ve been someone from her daycamp who observes her playtime (which is related to our school district). I don’t know. They said they have to do an investigation.

they probably cant unless your parents are abusing her

not if your parents didnt do anything wrong

My answer to your question is no. The police can't take her away, for not being assessed. I don't think she has Autism, and that's my opinion.

Stupid s/h//i/t like this is why I would prefer to homeschool my kid if I ever have one.

Source(s): I am a male.

No. They can only remove children to foster care if they’re being abused, abandoned or neglected by their families. They cannot remove a child just because the parents don’t see an issue with her playing with much younger kids. I do recommend, however, that you figure out why she doesn’t want to befriend children her own age. My cousin was the same way. Growing up, she couldn’t relate to children her own age and didn’t want to either. It wasn’t until she went to therapy in her mid 40’s that she found out some underlying issues of why.

No, that is not grounds for removing a child from a household.

• Kelly

I've been a foster parent for 20 years...

Is your sister the type to make up things that she is being abused at home for attention? If she is, her teachers, doctors, school and people at camps are legally required to report it to the state.

No, the state won't take her unless there is evidence that she is being abused, denied medical treatment, neglected, etc and in all likelihood they would remove all children if that was the case... not just her.

No, there would have to be evidence of abuse or neglect to take her away. Just playing with smaller children should not be a reason to call CPS.

• martin

Even if your sister has autism, it's no reason to take her away from your parents and your home. If she needs assessment, it wouldn't hurt to know the truth.

I'm having a hard time believing this is true. One, teachers aren't allowed to tell parents they think their child has autism, or adhd , and they cant tell parents they have to get them evaluated . If a parent brings it up and asks for advice , sure they can suggest. Since there is no abuse going on or proof , there's no need to call CPS. They cant take your child away over something like this and I couldn't imagine a social worker coming out to" investigate " . This doesnt make any sense

• Janet

My understanding is that CPS has to have indications of abuse.

The government ALWAYS tries to leave the child with their parents, unless the parents present a physical danger to the child.