Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 7 months ago

How do colleges compare students from the same high school?

I know that colleges look at weighted GPA to compare students from the same high school. I'm an incoming junior and last year as a sophomore I did not take an AP class (because it was the teacher's first time teaching the AP course) while several classmates in my grade took it so I have a general understanding that their GPA will be higher than mine because an AP course boosts up your weighted GPA. But other than that I took all the classes of the same level as them and I'm going to take that AP class this upcoming year. Would that put those students in a more advantageous place while putting me in a difficult spot to compete against them when colleges see this?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 months ago

You're coming to dumb conclusions. You have no idea how those students performed in that one class and colleges ALSO look at unweighted gpas.

One class is going to have pretty much no effect on your admission status.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    7 months ago

They also look at SAT scores, extracurriculars, admissions essays, etc.

Don't rush into it. If you don't get into the college of your dreams right out of high school it's worth waiting for. Most kids don't know what they want to do at that age anyway and they're not mature enough. If you wait for several more years until you're more mature you'll do better in classes and you're much more likely to graduate.

A lot of colleges have a policy where, if you've been out of high school for 3+ years, they don't really weigh heavily on your high school grades or SAT scores for admission. At that point it's more about professional work experience, community involvement, community college grades, etc. You're considered an adult at that point so you're not really competing with other people right out of high school.

The key is you want to get that in-person meeting with an admissions counselor and show them that you're mature, responsible, enthusiastic and focused enough to handle it. Don't go in there telling them you feel like a miserable failure and have no idea what you want to do with your life.

• MS
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Colleges actually tend to give more consideration to your unweighted GPA. If you take that AP course as a junior, it will appear in your application materials when you apply to college. Colleges look at more than just your classes and grades when considering admission; more selective colleges consider more factors. Being a well-rounded and involved student is also very important.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.