Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 6 months ago

Getting divorce, bought a house before marriage?

Im getting divorced- have two kids with her but I bought a house before getting married does this mean she gets to keep it .

23 Answers

Relevance
  • Raja
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

If you have the legal ownership of the property then you are said to be the absolute owner. If it is joint ownership a share will go to the wife depending on the terms of the Deed . A Deed is a legal document which gives the terms and conditions of the ownership of property. Consult a Lawyer for proper interpretation. Property Law varies from country to country .Hence seek legal advice.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Ocimom
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

That depends on the state you live in and the divorce lawyer. Likely the house will be split between you.

• 6 months ago

You are man and you can make everything again if your kid are going with her give for your kids,.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

YES LAWYER UP - Janet was right on the money and while laws vary use this as starting point

it depends on if you can prove you never used her money to pay on the house... bought and paid for is not the same as made payments when married.

but there is provision for you to keep the house

judge cannot change the mortgage contract

that contract prevails

but if she never worked or sparsely worked you will pay one way or the other

------------------

a big BIG suggestion on all things do the mirror test

say there is $100,000.00 in shared equity verse your separate equity

so she says you pay me the $50,000.00 her half to the equity

reverse all offers say no you keep the house pay me the equity in cash

and if the title is in your name she cannot borrow on the home to pay you upfront

the mirror works best on self employed business ,, you are the business and she ask $500,000.00 for her half

tell her no you take the business pay me the $500,000.00 ... she will run in fear

then offer a small token amount to her say $15,000.00 She will take it

-----------------

I will tell you Lawyers all know each others and they have certain loyalty to each other over you the client for most part -- how much you pay may determine conditions

never let the lawyer string it out to bill you over and over,,, keep your own written log/list you expect out of the lawyer -- tell him you will not pay for his scheduling screw ups etc (try get it written)

But in the end In cases I help friends with

our lawyer made provisions for her lawyer to get paid from our side... AKA she owed my buddy $5000.00 after all said and done... but they allowed him pay her $2000.00 so she could would pay her lawyer who was mislead by her there was hundreds of thousands of dollars to be had in the settlement (she never made the initial retainer payment) LOL

the fun part was he paid her $100.00 per month for 20 months... you know she never paid her lawyer

Remember the court MAY order her to pay or you to pay certain credit cards/accounts , car payments etc.. but if the loan if in your name and she does not pay? they will come after you not her ..... the court cannot change the debt to another person

never ever sign any deed or title over without a new mortgage (name change no co-sign) or new loan paying off the original loan and through escrow only not quick-claim deed

IE: quick-claim deed changes the deed but not the loan

• Ana
      Lv 6
      6 months agoReport

Best answer on this entire thread. Only a low IQ fool would thumb it down

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

discuss this with your attorney.

• Kelly
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

She can ask for it in the divorce, or ask for it in lieu of other marital assets that are equal or similar value.

She is though entitled to half the equity of it during the time you were married. If you stay in the house you may be required to buy out her interest in it. Say there's $50,000 in equity in the home, $25,000 of that is hers.

Ultimately you need an attorney to negotiate a good settlement for you.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Questions like this always produce 2 kinds of answers. Smart people will tell you there's no way to even guess, so you need legal advice. Stupid people (or well meaning teens) will assume you gave enough info to know exactly how this will play out.

Hope that helps.

• K8
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Get a lawyer......

• Eva
    Lv 4
    6 months ago

If you did not put her name on the deed when you got married, it's your house because you had it before marriage, unless you live in a community property state.

• opinionated
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

most states, she is entitle to 1/2 the equity gained while married

my sister's ex hubby found this out, with the house he has for 10 years before they got married, was married for about 12 years, he had to sell the house , because he couldn't find cash to give her 1/2 the equety

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Depends on whether she signed a prenup, whether you put her name on the deed, whether you live in a community property state and what a judge might decide. Go talk to an attorney.

• Janet
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Prenups do NOT allow the couple to break the laws about divorce. The purpose of prenups is not to assign things that the Courts do not allow. The purpose of prenups is to keep one spouse from trying to get things they are not entitled - under law - to getting.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.