Why did all the previous live-action versions of Disney cartoon characters get to keep their skin tone but Ariel doesn't?

Disney has set a precedent of trying to make the live-action versions of their cartoon characters look as similar to the cartoon as possible. Yet, all of a sudden, Ariel gets completely changed from a white character to a black one. Why? Why does she get the short straw? You don't need to say anything about me... show more Disney has set a precedent of trying to make the live-action versions of their cartoon characters look as similar to the cartoon as possible. Yet, all of a sudden, Ariel gets completely changed from a white character to a black one. Why? Why does she get the short straw? You don't need to say anything about me already asking this question because I know I did. The only reason I'm re-asking it is because it got deleted.