Can a landlord increase the deposit at lease renewal?

My friend who is a landlord 365 days per year said "security deposits do not get charged again when you renew the lease" But my landlord requires an additional security deposit upon lease renewal. The rent went from 1000 to 1050. The original deposit is 1000. The landlord requires an additional 50... show more My friend who is a landlord 365 days per year said "security deposits do not get charged again when you renew the lease"

But my landlord requires an additional security deposit upon lease renewal. The rent went from 1000 to 1050. The original deposit is 1000. The landlord requires an additional 50 deposit to renew.

but my friend the landlord says security deposits don't change upon renewal.
Update: I know all about the ignorant trolls.....who keep giving wrong answers and whine when proven wrong, yet refuse to think and learn. Not to mention the ones that give wrong answers for fun and the ones that just make up laws they would like, not respond based on actual law.
Update 2: Just to prove how pathetic they are, they move my question to another category moments after I fix it.
Update 3: The abuse is literally hitting reload continuously waiting for me to move it, so they can change it again.
Update 4: and now my friend the LL is saying the ONLY way a person becomes a legal resident without a written lease is if they stay at least a month...even if there is an agreement that the person would live there and other evidence it is there legal address.